2014 World Music Awards
The 2014 World Music Awards was a music awards ceremony that was held on May 27, 2014, at the Salle des Etoiles in Monte Carlo, Monaco. It was the 22nd edition of the show since its start in 1989, and the first ceremony since 2010, after which it went on a four-year hiatus. As of 2018[update], it has continued another unexplained hiatus stretching four years so far.
|2014 World Music Awards|
|Date||May 27, 2014|
|Location||Salle des Etoiles, Monte Carlo|
|Hosted by||Pamela Anderson & Jason Derulo|
At the ceremony, Mariah Carey received the Pop Icon Award for having sold over 200 million records and having more No.1 singles in America than any other solo artist. Miley Cyrus received the award for world's Best Pop Rock Female Artist. She also won World's Best Video for "Wrecking Ball" and World's Best Female Artist voted by the fans. Han Geng received the awards for World's Best Male Artist voted by the fans. Laura Pausini received an awards for her 20 years of career. Ricky Martin received the Latin Legend Award for his global record sales.
Taylor Swift won four awards.
Delays and difficultiesEdit
The 22nd edition of the World Music Awards had been scheduled to be held December 20, 2012 at Miami's Marlins Park, but was canceled days beforehand due to issues with visa approval for artists coming in for the ceremony and in its own statement, out of respect to victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
The show was not held in 2013, and then was to return in mid-May 2014. The organization came to an agreement with the American NBC network to broadcast the ceremony with a tape delay on May 28. Delays due to talent and technical difficulties caused the event to be delayed until May 27, and the shows' executive producers failed to deliver the show to NBC in time for it to be broadcast due to further delays, which included the late arrival of Mariah Carey to the ceremony, all factors which caused the ceremony to run 4 hours over its original taping schedule. Sharon Stone had been slated to host the ceremony, but pulled out at the last minute due to a payment dispute with the WMA organizing body. Likewise, a scheduled livestream of the red carpet via the website of music industry publication Billboard was called off due to further technical issues.
Pamela Anderson and Jason Derulo stepped in to host the ceremony at the last minute. NBC never received a final cut of the ceremony from the show's executive producers, and substituted it on May 28 with a time-stretched rerun of the premiere of that season's America's Got Talent.
- Marianne Garvey; Brian Niemietz; Oliver Coleman (4 June 2014). "NBC gets sour note as World Music Awards with Miley Cyrus and Mariah Carey miss air date". New York Daily News. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- Dickinson, Natalie (May 17, 2014). "Miley Cyrus and Gary Barlow to perform at the World Music Awards alongside Mariah Carey". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "World Music Awards 2014, los ganadores". musicanueva.es (in Spanish). 28 May 2014. Archived from the original on 31 May 2014. Retrieved 2 June 2014.
- "World Music Awards 2014 Winners List". TwiceasNice. 30 May 2014. Archived from the original on 23 June 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Abravanel, Lesley (20 December 2012). "World Music Awards sham canceled, uses Sandy Hook tragedy as excuse". The Miami Herald. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Pajot, S. "World Music Awards Canceled, Exposed as a Con, Blaming "Visa Issues," Newtown Shooting". Miami NewTimes Blogs. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Watts, Halina (27 May 2014). "Mariah Carey causes chaos at World Music Awards after album launch delayed by 4 hours". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "World Music Awards Red Carpet Pre-Show". Billboard. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2014.