2014 Arena Football League season
The 2014 Arena Football League season was the 27th season in the history of the league. The regular season began on March 14, 2014 and ended on July 26, 2014.
|2014 Arena Football League season|
|League||Arena Football League|
|Duration||March 14, 2014 – August 23, 2014|
|Season champions||Cleveland Gladiators|
|Season MVP||Nick Davila, ARZ|
|American Conference champions||Cleveland Gladiators|
|American Conference runners-up||Orlando Predators|
|National Conference champions||Arizona Rattlers|
|National Conference runners-up||San Jose SaberCats|
|Finals MVP||Nick Davila, ARZ|
The city of Anaheim, California was awarded an expansion team on August 15, 2013. The team, named the Los Angeles Kiss, was the first AFL team to call Los Angeles home since the Los Angeles Avengers in 2008. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, members of the rock band Kiss, were the owners of the expansion franchise.
On December 17, 2013 it was announced that ESPN had agreed to a multi-year deal in televising several games, including the ArenaBowl. Additionally, at least 75 games during the season were to be aired on ESPN3, the network's online streaming service. ESPN had owned an equity interest in the former league organization prior to its bankruptcy, and had previously aired games as recently as the 2008 season, prior to the league's hiatus that resulted in the canceled 2009 season.
With teams expanding, relocating and suspending operations, the AFL announced the divisional alignment for 2014 on October 29, 2013. The two conferences had an even number of teams, and were placed in two divisions.
|American||East||Cleveland Gladiators, Iowa Barnstormers, Philadelphia Soul, Pittsburgh Power|
|South||Jacksonville Sharks, New Orleans VooDoo, Orlando Predators, Tampa Bay Storm|
|National||Pacific||Portland Thunder, San Jose SaberCats, Spokane Shock|
|West||Arizona Rattlers, Los Angeles Kiss, San Antonio Talons|
Regular season standingsEdit
Eight teams qualify for the playoffs: four teams from each conference, of which two are division champions and the other two have the best records of the teams remaining.
- Green indicates clinched playoff berth
- Blue indicates division champion
- Gray indicates division champion and conference's best record
- a San Antonio finished in second place in the West Division based on their greater point differential in head-to-head competition with Los Angeles.
|Conference Semifinals||Conference Championship||ArenaBowl XXVII|
|American||August 2||7:00 p.m. EDT||Philadelphia Soul||37–39||Cleveland Gladiators||Quicken Loans Arena|||
|National||August 2||10:00 p.m. EDT||Spokane Shock||28–55||San Jose SaberCats||SAP Center at San Jose|||
|American||August 3||2:00 p.m. EDT||Pittsburgh Power||48–56||Orlando Predators||CFE Arena|||
|National||August 3||6:00 p.m. EDT||Portland Thunder||48–52||Arizona Rattlers||US Airways Center|||
|American||August 10||3:00 p.m. EDT||Orlando Predators||46–56||Cleveland Gladiators||Quicken Loans Arena|||
|National||August 10||8:00 p.m. EDT||San Jose SaberCats||56–72||Arizona Rattlers||US Airways Center|||
|August 23||8:00 p.m. EDT||Arizona Rattlers||72–32||Cleveland Gladiators||Quicken Loans Arena|
- "Arena Football League, KISS Bring Pro Football Back to Los Angeles". Arena Football League. August 15, 2013. Archived from the original on 2017-02-09. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Richard Obert (September 7, 2013). "Rattlers bolster pass rush with addition of Alex Magee in dispersal draft Friday". www.azcentral.com. azcentral.com. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Don Walker (October 2, 2013). "Milwaukee Mustangs bound for Portland". www.jsonline.com. Journal Sentinel, Inc. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "ESPN Acquires Rights to Arena Football Starting in 2014". arenafootball.com. Arena Football League. December 17, 2013. Archived from the original on December 22, 2013. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "With Rush gone, AFL sets realignment for 2014 season". www.dailyherald.com. Paddock Publications, Inc. October 29, 2013. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "Playoff Qualification, Selection of Teams". Arenafootball.com. Archived from the original on August 7, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- "Gladiators Beat Soul on Last Play, Again". Cleveland Gladiators. Arenafan.com. August 3, 2014. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- Aseltine, Griffin (August 3, 2014). "San Jose Shocks Spokane in Playoff Blowout, 55-28". Arenafan.com. ArenaFan. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Sims, Jeff (August 4, 2014). "Morris and KEEFENSE Surge Power". Arenafan.com. ArenaFan. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Loeschman, Matt (August 4, 2014). "Snakes alive -- Floyd interception saves Rattlers' season". Arenafan.com. ArenaFan. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- Rosenblum, Jonah (August 10, 2014). "Steady Gladiators Best Orlando, Advance to ArenaBowl". Arenafan.com. ArenaFan. Retrieved August 12, 2014.
- Loeschman, Matt (August 11, 2014). "Rattlers show championship form in dominating Cats". Arenafan.com. ArenaFan. Retrieved August 12, 2014.