2014–15 Football League One
The 2014–15 Football League One (referred to as the Sky Bet League One for sponsorship reasons) was the eleventh season of the Football League One under its current title and the twenty-second season under its current league division format. The season began on 9 August 2014.
(4th divisional title)
Milton Keynes Dons
Preston North End
|Goals scored||1,464 (2.65 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Joe Garner (25 goals)|
|Biggest home win||Milton Keynes Dons 7–0 Oldham Athletic|
(20 December 2014)
|Biggest away win||Bradford City 0–6 Bristol City|
(14 April 2015)
|Highest scoring||Bristol City 8–2 Walsall|
(3 May 2015)
|Longest winning run||7 games|
Preston North End
|Longest unbeaten run||18 games|
Preston North End
|Longest winless run||13 games|
|Longest losing run||6 games|
Coventry City 1–0 Gillingham
(5 September 2014)
Crawley Town 1–0 Fleetwood Town
(13 September 2014)
Bristol City won the league to return to the Championship after a two-year absence. They were unbeaten for the first 16 matches of the season and also finished with the best goal difference and best defence. MK Dons pipped Preston North End to 2nd place on the last day of the season after the Lancashire club lost at Colchester. But Preston were eventually promoted via the playoffs, defeating Chesterfield and Swindon 4–0 (on aggregate) and 4–0 respectively.
At the other end of the table, Yeovil Town followed their relegation from the Championship the previous season with another relegation. Leyton Orient were relegated after having contested the playoff final in 2013–14 (which they lost to Rotherham on penalties after being 2–0 up), and Crawley and Notts County were the final teams relegated to League Two for the 2015–16 season.
Changes from last seasonEdit
To League OneEdit
Promoted from League Two
Relegated from Championship
From League OneEdit
Relegated to League Two
Promoted to Championship
Stadia and locationsEdit
|Team||Outgoing manager||Manner of departure||Date of vacancy||Position in table at
time of departure
|Incoming manager||Date of appointment|
|Colchester United||Joe Dunne||Sacked||1 September 2014||23rd||Tony Humes||1 September 2014|
|Port Vale||Micky Adams||Resigned||18 September 2014||23rd||Rob Page||29 October 2014|
|Leyton Orient||Russell Slade||24 September 2014||17th||Mauro Milanese||26 October 2014|
|Scunthorpe United||Russ Wilcox||Sacked||8 October 2014||23rd||Mark Robins||13 October 2014|
|Leyton Orient||Mauro Milanese||8 December 2014||19th||Fabio Liverani||8 December 2014|
|Crawley Town||John Gregory||Health Reasons||27 December 2014||21st||Dean Saunders||27 December 2014|
|Gillingham||Peter Taylor||Sacked||31 December 2014||20th||Justin Edinburgh||7 February 2015|
|Yeovil Town||Gary Johnson||4 February 2015||24th||Terry Skiverton||4 February 2015|
|Barnsley||Danny Wilson||12 February 2015||17th||Lee Johnson||25 February 2015|
|Peterborough United||Darren Ferguson||22 February 2015||15th|
|Coventry City||Steven Pressley||22 February 2015||21st||Tony Mowbray||3 March 2015|
|Oldham Athletic||Lee Johnson||Signed by Barnsley||25 February 2015||9th|
|Notts County||Shaun Derry||Sacked||23 March 2015||20th||Ricardo Moniz||7 April 2015|
|Yeovil Town||Terry Skiverton||Demotion to Assistant Manager||9 April 2015||24th||Paul Sturrock||9 April 2015|
|Pos||Team||Pld||W||D||L||GF||GA||GD||Pts||Promotion, qualification or relegation|
|1||Bristol City (C, P)||46||29||12||5||96||38||+58||99||Promotion to Football League Championship|
|2||Milton Keynes Dons (P)||46||27||10||9||101||44||+57||91|
|3||Preston North End (O, P)||46||25||14||7||79||40||+39||89||Qualification for League One play-offs[a]|
|21||Notts County (R)||46||12||14||20||45||63||−18||50||Relegation to Football League Two|
|22||Crawley Town (R)||46||13||11||22||53||79||−26||50|
|23||Leyton Orient (R)||46||12||13||21||59||69||−10||49|
|24||Yeovil Town (R)||46||10||10||26||36||75||−39||40|
Rules for classification: 1) Points; 2) Goal difference; 3) Number of goals scored
(C) Champion; (O) Play-off winner; (P) Promoted; (R) Relegated.
- Four teams play for one spot and promotion to Football League Championship.
|3||Preston North End||1||3||4|
|3||Preston North End||4|
- As of 3 May 2015
|1||Joe Garner||Preston North End||25|
|Andy Williams||Swindon Town|
|5||Will Grigg||Milton Keynes Dons||20|
|6||Izale McLeod||Crawley Town||19|
|7||Aaron Wilbraham||Bristol City||18|
|Matt Done||Rochdale/Sheffield United|
|10||Dele Alli||Milton Keynes Dons||16|
- "English League One 2014–15". statto.com. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "English League One Statistics". ESPN FC. Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN). Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Sky Bet Football League One 2013–2014 Season Domestic Stats to 19-Apr-14 inclusive End of Season Run-in". Archived from the original on 17 February 2001. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "Ups and Downs". BBC Sport. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Brighton 2 0 Yeovil". BBC Sport. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- "Colchester United: Joe Dunne replaced by Tony Humes as boss". BBC Sport. 1 September 2014.
- "Micky Adams: Port Vale manager steps down for a second time". BBC Sport. 18 September 2014.
- "Rob Page: Port Vale appoint interim boss as manager". BBC Sport. 29 October 2014.
- "Russell Slade: Cardiff target resigns as Leyton Orient manager". BBC Sport. 24 September 2014.
- "Leyton Orient: Ex-QPR defender Mauro Milanese named O's boss". BBC Sport. 26 October 2014.
- "Scunthorpe United sack manager Russ Wilcox". BBC Sport. 8 October 2014.
- "Mark Robins: Scunthorpe United appoint former Huddersfield boss". BBC Sport. 13 October 2014.
- "Fabio Liverani replaces Mauro Milanese at Leyton Orient". BBC Sport. 4 July 2014.
- "Dean Saunders in at Crawley as John Gregory faces heart surgery". BBC Sport. 27 December 2014.
- "Peter Taylor: Gillingham sack manager after 14 months in charge". BBC Sport. 31 December 2014.
- "Justin Edinburgh: Gillingham appoint Newport boss as manager". BBC Sport. 7 February 2015.
- "Gary Johnson: Yeovil manager sacked by League One club". BBC Sport. 4 February 2015. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Danny Wilson: Barnsley sack experienced manager". BBC Sport. 12 February 2015.
- "Lee Johnson: Barnsley appoint Oldham manager". BBC Sport. 25 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Darren Ferguson: Peterborough boss leaves after MK Dons defeat". BBC Sport. 21 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Coventry City: Steven Pressley sacked by struggling Sky Blues". BBC Sport. 22 February 2015. Retrieved 22 February 2015.
- "Coventry City: Tony Mowbray named new Sky Blues manager". BBC Sport. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Paul Sturrock: Yeovil Town confirm manager appointment". BBC Sport. 9 April 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "League One Top Scorers". 20 September 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2014.