2013 population census in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The most recent census of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the 2013 census (Popis stanovništva u Bosni i Hercegovini 2013.), took place from 1 October until 15 October 2013 with a reference date of census 30 September 2013 at 24:00 hours (midnight), 22 years after the previous census. It was the first census after the Bosnian War. It was organized by the Central Census Bureau of Bosnia and Herzegovina and supported by the European Union.
in Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Country||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Date taken||October 1–October 15, 2013|
|Total population||3,531,159 (final)|
Preliminary results of the census were published on 5 November 2013, revealing that 3,791,622 people were enumerated. The final results, including ethnicity data, were planned to be published in the second half of 2014, when data processing would be completed. As of June 2015[update], the final results had still not been released, due to a dispute between the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Republika Srpska statistical agencies.
The Steering Committee of the International Monitoring Operation on the Population and Housing Censuses in Bosnia and Herzegovina, the international observers by the census process, reported in March 2016 that a new director was appointed to the national statistical agency in December 2015, who could decide on the blocking issues, and that the result of the 2013 census had to be published by July 2016. On 30 June 2016, the official results were published. The census results are contested by the Republika Srpska statistical office and by Bosnian Serb politicians, who oppose the inclusion of non-permanent Bosnian residents in the figures. The population according to the final results is lower than in the preliminary results published in 2013. The European Union's statistics office, Eurostat, concluded in May 2016 that the methodology used by the Bosnian statistical agency is in line with international recommendations.
|Total enumerated persons||Percentage of total population|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||3,791,622||100.00%|
|Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina||2,371,603||62.55%|
|Total population||Percentage of total population|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||3,531,159||100.00%|
|Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina||2,219,220||62.85%|
The final results published on 30 June 2016 included statistics on ethnic groups in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
|Population||% of total||Population||% of total||Population||% of total|
Census covered the following topics:
- Usual place of residence
- Name of father or mother's surname
- Date of birth and identification number
- Place of birth
- Length and purpose of presence / absence in the list
- Place of residence immediately after birth
- Place of residence of the person at the time of the 1991 census
- If the person was a refugee from Bosnia and Herzegovina
- If the person was displaced person in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- If the person has formally legal status of displaced persons and intends to return to place from which the displaced
- A place in Bosnia and Herzegovina which the person moved and the year of immigration
- Whether the person ever lived outside of Bosnia and Herzegovina years or more
- Month and year immigration and the state from which a person moved
- Reasons for immigration to Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Legal marital status
- Common-law communities
- Number of live births and the month and year of their birth
- Ethnic/national origin
- Mother tongue
- Highest completed school
- Schools attended by the person
- Current status activities
- Status in employment
- Branch of economic activity companies (at work)
- Main source of means of livelihood
- Whether the person is dependent
- Activity of the breadwinner
- Place of work or school attendance and frequency of return in place of permanent residence
- Functional ability of a person to perform daily activities and cause of disability
- Length of stay in the country and abroad for temporary civilian stay and work in another country and place of residence in Bosnia and Herzegovina for them and their family members
- "Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina Holds Its 36th Session". Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "In first census since war, Bosnia's 'Others' threaten ethnic order". reuters.com. Reuters. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Preliminary Results of the 2013 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in Bosnia and Herzegovina" (PDF). Agency for Statistics of Bosnia and Herzegovina. 5 November 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 November 2018. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Jukic, Elvira M. (9 June 2015). "Disputes Delay Publication of Bosnia Census". Balkan Insight. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- "Twenty-second Report from the Steering Committee of the International Monitoring Operation (IMO) of B&H Census" (PDF). 2016.
- Toe, Rodolfo (30 June 2016). "Census Reveals Bosnia's Changed Demography". Balkan Insight. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Toe, Rodolfo (30 June 2016). "Bosnia to Publish Census Without Serb Agreement". Balkan Insight. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- "Bosnia-Herzegovina has lost a fifth of its pre-war population". The Guardian. 2016.
- "Census of population, households and dwellings in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2013: Final results" (PDF). Agency for Statistics of Bosnia and Herzegovina. June 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 December 2017. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
Bieber, Florian (2015). "The Construction of National Identity and its Challenges in Post-Yugoslav Censuses*". Social Science Quarterly. 96 (3): 873–903. doi:10.1111/ssqu.12195. ISSN 0038-4941.Cooley, Laurence (2019). "To be a Bosniak or to be a citizen? Bosnia and Herzegovina's 2013 census as an election". Nations and Nationalism. 25 (3): 1065–1086. doi:10.1111/nana.12500. ISSN 1354-5078.Visoka, Gëzim; Gjevori, Elvin (2013). "Census politics and ethnicity in the Western Balkans". East European Politics. 29 (4): 479–498. doi:10.1080/21599165.2013.819349. ISSN 2159-9165.
- "Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in Bosnia and Herzegovina 2013 (Official site)". Agency for Statistics of BiH. Archived from the original on 2015-02-21. Retrieved 2015-02-26.
- "Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2013 - Final Results (June 2016)" (PDF). Agency for Statistics of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-12-24. Retrieved 2016-06-30.