2013 GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma
The 2013 GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma was an IndyCar Series race held on August 25, 2013 at Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, California. The race was the fifteenth of the 2013 IndyCar Series season, and was won by Will Power of Team Penske.
|15th round of the 2013 IndyCar Series season|
|Date||August 25, 2013|
|Official name||GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma|
2.303 mi / 3.706 km
195.755 mi / 315.010 km
|Driver||Dario Franchitti (Chip Ganassi Racing)|
|First||Will Power (Team Penske)|
|Second||Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne Racing)|
|Third||Dario Franchitti (Chip Ganassi Racing)|
Entering the race, James Hinchcliffe and Scott Dixon were tied for the most wins with three. In the points race, Hélio Castroneves held the lead with 453 points, followed by Dixon (422), Ryan Hunter-Reay (388), Marco Andretti (377) and Simon Pagenaud (350) rounded out the top five.
Dario Franchitti won his 33rd career and final pole position, his fourth of 2013 and third at the track, with a lap time of 1:17.5271. Teammate Scott Dixon started second with a time of 1:17.7196, Team Penske teammates Will Power and Hélio Castroneves were in third and fourth, respectively. Ryan Hunter-Reay closed out the top five starting spots. Charlie Kimball, Justin Wilson, Graham Rahal, James Hinchcliffe and Simon Pagenaud rounded out the starting top ten. JR Hildebrand, making his return to IndyCar since the Indianapolis 500, started 18th, while Ryan Briscoe, running his final race of the season, started 22nd. Lucas Luhr started his IndyCar debut in 25th. The race was also Tony Kanaan's 311th, tying him with Jimmy Vasser for most consecutive IndyCar starts.
The race featured a track record seven cautions, four of which came in turn 7. Meanwhile, Scott Dixon and Will Power battled throughout the day, but during the final pit stops under caution, Dixon sped out of his pit box and struck Power's right rear tire carrier, sending the carrier into another pit member, while another was injured by an air gun. None of the three were seriously injured, and were treated with ice. As hitting pit crew members and pit equipment results in a penalty, Dixon fell back to 21st and finished 15th. The penalty became controversial after Dixon believed Power's crew member walked in front of Dixon's car intentionally. Dixon eventually called the ruling "pretty annoying"; IndyCar race director Beaux Barfield stated that replays Dixon hadn't seen of the incident showed him driving too close to Power's car, which was getting serviced at the time. As for Power, he led for the remainder of the race, and beat Justin Wilson by 1.2 seconds for his nineteenth career IndyCar victory and first in 25 races, while Dario Franchitti, Marco Andretti and Simon Pagenaud closed out the top five. The win was Power's third at Sonoma in four years, as he continues to be the only IndyCar driver with multiple wins at the track.
The points standings featured Castroneves increasing his then 31-point lead over Dixon to a 39-point lead (479 points to 440), while Ryan Hunter-Reay (417), Marco Andretti (409), Simon Pagenaud (380) and Dario Franchitti (379) remained as the top six, Justin Wilson and Will Power leapt past James Hinchcliffe and Charlie Kimball for seventh and eight, respectively, dropping Hinchcliffe and Kimball to ninth and tenth.
- Cavin, Curt (2013-08-04). "Charlie Kimball wins 1st IndyCar race with victory at Mid-Ohio". The Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Associated Press (2012-08-27). "Ryan Briscoe wins at Sonoma". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Associated Press (2013-03-25). "James Hinchcliffe wins at St. Pete". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Cavin, Curt (2013-05-05). "IndyCar: James Hinchcliffe wins at Sao Paulo; Indy is up next". The Indianapolis Star. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Associated Press (2013-07-07). "Scott Dixon wins in IndyCar Series return to Pocono". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Fryer, Jenna (2013-07-14). "Scott Dixon sweeps IndyCar's Toronto doubleheader". Yahoo! News. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- "2013 Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio". Racing-Reference. Retrieved 2013-08-06.
- Associated Press (2013-08-24). "Dario Franchitti wins IndyCar pole at Sonoma". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Associated Press (2013-08-24). "Dario Franchitti takes IndyCar pole at Sonoma Raceway". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2013-08-27. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "2013 GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma". Racing-Reference. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Matsuda, Darryl (2013-08-24). "Dario Franchitti wins Sonoma IndyCar pole". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Associated Press (2013-08-24). "Franchitti Flies To IndyCar Pole At Sonoma". Fox Sports. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Corrêa, João (2013-08-25). "Newgarden 17th, Luhr 25th on starting grid at Sonoma Raceway". Motorsport.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Associated Press (2013-08-25). "Will Power wins in Sonoma". ESPN. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- "Power wins controversial race in Sonoma". Yahoo! Sports. 2013-08-25. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- "Will Power wins Sonoma IndyCar event after Scott Dixon penalized". United Press International. 2013-08-25. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Associated Press (2013-08-25). "Will Power wins in Sonoma after late Scott Dixon penalty". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2013-08-27. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
2013 Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio
2013 Grand Prix of Baltimore
2012 GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma
|GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma||Next race:|
2014 GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma