2013 Chick-fil-A Bowl
The 2013 Chick-fil-A Bowl was an American college football bowl game that was played on December 31, 2013, at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia. The 46th edition of the Chick-fil-A Bowl (formerly called the Peach Bowl), it featured the Duke Blue Devils from the Atlantic Coast Conference against the Texas A&M Aggies from the Southeastern Conference. It began at 8:00 p.m. EST and was aired on ESPN. It was one of the 2013–14 bowl games that concluded the 2013 FBS football season. The game was sponsored by the Chick-fil-A restaurant franchise.
|2013 Chick-fil-A Bowl|
|Date||December 31, 2013|
|MVP||Offensive: Johnny Manziel (QB – Texas A&M)|
Defensive: Toney Hurd Jr. (DB – Texas A&M)
|Favorite||Texas A&M by 12|
|Referee||Jeff Maconaghy (American)|
|Payout||US$$7.4 million (total)|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Rece Davis (play-by-play) |
Jesse Palmer (analyst)
David Pollack (analyst)
Samantha Ponder (sideline)
|Nielsen ratings||8.69 million viewers|
In a contest dominated by both teams' offensive units, Duke scored first and stayed ahead for most of the game. But with a little more than a minute left in regulation, Texas A&M returned an interception for a touchdown, and ended up winning by a score of 52–48. Although 67,496 tickets were distributed, the crowd was far less than capacity.
Duke finished the regular season with a record of 10–3 (6–2 ACC) and a BCS ranking of #24. Texas A&M had a record of 8–4 (4–4 SEC) and a BCS ranking of #21. The 2013 Chick-fil-A Bowl was the first-ever meeting of the two teams.
The 2013 Chick-fil-A Bowl was the very first meeting between Duke and Texas A&M, as well as both programs' first appearance in the bowl. Both teams were ranked #21 in the Coaches' Poll coming into the game.
|Total offense, plays – yards||82-661||68-541|
|Passing yards (net)||427||382|
|Time of Possession||35:02||24:58|
- December 22, 2013 – Texas A&M linebacker Darian Claiborne was suspended after he was arrested on suspicion on drug possession.
- Bowl Schedule, Los Angeles Times, December 10, 2013
- Chick-fil-A Bowl Sets Impressive List of TV, Game Records Archived 2014-01-12 at the Wayback Machine, Chick-fil-A Bowl, January 6, 2014
- Texas A&M to Face Duke in Chick-fil-A Bowl
- Associated Press, Texas A&M linebacker Darian Claiborne arrested, suspended, Los Angeles Times, December 22, 2013