2012 Sydney Telstra 500
The 2012 Sydney Telstra 500 was a motor race for the Australian sedan-based V8 Supercars racing cars. It was the fifteenth and final event of the 2012 International V8 Supercars Championship. It was held on the weekend of 30 November–2 December at the Homebush Street Circuit in Sydney, New South Wales.
|Round 15 of 15 in the 2012 International V8 Supercars Championship|
|Date||30 November–2 December 2012|
|Location||Sydney, New South Wales|
|Venue||Homebush Street Circuit|
Craig Lowndes became the first driver to win two races at the circuit, winning on Saturday after first-time pole-sitter Tim Slade made a mistake late in the race. Will Davison gave Ford Performance Racing a strong finish to the year, winning the second race. James Courtney found form, finishing on the podium in both races. Series champion Jamie Whincup finished fifth in both races. There was some controversy when Whincup pulled over in the pit lane in the first race to let team-mate Lowndes past, in order to boost Lowndes' chances of finishing second in the championship, but no penalty was applied. Mark Winterbottom was beaten to second in the points standings by Lowndes after a disappointing weekend. The 2012 Dunlop Series champion Scott McLaughlin made his solo debut for Garry Rogers Motorsport (after having driven with Jonathon Webb at the endurance races), replacing Alex Prémat for the second race after Prémat suffered heat exhaustion on Saturday and was deemed unfit to race.
The event was also the final one for the Project Blueprint specification V8 Supercars, with the new Car of the Future regulations coming into effect in 2013.
- After 30 of 30 races.
|1||1||Jamie Whincup||Triple Eight Race Engineering||3861|
|2||888||Craig Lowndes||Triple Eight Race Engineering||3522|
|3||5||Mark Winterbottom||Ford Performance Racing||3457|
|4||6||Will Davison||Ford Performance Racing||3049|
|5||47||Tim Slade||James Rosenberg Racing||2790|
- Bartholomaeus, Stefan (1 December 2012). "Lowndes wins fuel economy battle in Race 29". SpeedCafe. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Bartholomaeus, Stefan (1 December 2012). "Mixed emotions for Slade after second place finish". SpeedCafe. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Bartholomaeus, Stefan (2 December 2012). "Will Davison wins 2012 finale in Sydney". SpeedCafe. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Bartholomaeus, Stefan (1 December 2012). "Lowndes: Team pit move premeditated to ensure one-two". SpeedCafe. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- "McLaughlin replaces Premat for Sydney finale". SpeedCafe. 2 December 2012. Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Rowley, Grant (5 December 2012). "Premat reflects on frightening heat exhaustion incident". SpeedCafe. Retrieved 22 March 2013.