2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony flag bearers
During the closing ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, the flag bearers of 205 National Olympic Committees (NOCs) arrived into the main Olympic Stadium. The flag bearers from each participating country entered the stadium informally in single file, and behind them marched all the athletes without any distinction or grouping by nationality. The blending of all the athletes is a tradition that dates from the 1956 Summer Olympics, after a suggestion by Australian-born British student John Ian Wing, who thought it would be a way of bringing the athletes of the world together as "one nation." The flags of each country were not necessarily carried by the same flag bearer as in the opening ceremony.
Countries and flagbearersEdit
Below is a list of all parading countries with their announced flag bearer, sorted in the order in which they appeared in the parade. This is sortable by country name under which they entered, the flag bearer's name, or the flag bearer's sport. Names are given as were officially designated by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- "London 2012 closing ceremony – Flag bearers" (PDF). International Olympic Committee (IOC). 12 August 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Brady, Rachel (12 August 2012). "Christine Sinclair to carry Canadian flag at closing ceremony". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- "Olympics: Drysdale named as flag bearer". The New Zealand Herald. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Lööf svensk fanbärare på avslutningen". Sveriges Radio (in Swedish). 11 August 2012. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Oddi, Vicky (10 August 2012). "Bryshon Nellum named U.S. flag bearer for closing ceremony". National Broadcasting Company (NBC). Retrieved 12 August 2012.