2007–08 A1 Grand Prix season
|2007–08 A1 Grand Prix of Nations|
The 2007–08 A1 Grand Prix season was the third in the relatively short history of the championship.
Swiss drivers Rahel Frey and Natacha Gachnang are the two first females to drive A1 Grand Prix cars this season. Their first steps were test drivers during Silverstone, September 18–19, 2007, test session. Then Natacha Gachnang drove in rookie sessions in Czech round, on October 12, 2007 and Rahel Frey in Malaysian rookie sessions, on November 23, 2007
Season calendar and winnersEdit
Due to Zandvoort's noise restriction, Netherlands round wasn't able to conduct Friday sessions and so rookie session. Saturday morning was dedicated to practice sessions and Saturday afternoon to qualify sessions for each Sunday race.
|1||28 August 2007||United Kingdom||Silverstone|
|2||29 August 2007||United Kingdom||Silverstone|
|3||18 September 2007||United Kingdom||Silverstone|
|4||19 September 2007||United Kingdom||Silverstone|
- Qualifying will remain the current format, however the first two qualifying sessions will determine the grid for the sprint race while the second two qualifying sessions will determine the grid for the feature race.
- There are now 2 pit stops required in the feature race.
- The feature race remains a distance of 69 minutes plus one lap, while the sprint race has increased to 29 minutes plus one lap.
- Points are now assigned in the same manner for both the sprint and feature races using the following format with one bonus point awarded for the fastest lap in each race.
- Prize awarded in both sprint and feature races.
Since round 5, in Taupo, a 30 per cent biofuel mix was introduce. This environmental initiative is the first initiative to help reduce its environmental footprint in motorsport series. The new fuel is an ethanol-based product Hiperflo E30 sourced from sugar beet in Europe and produced by Petrochem Carless. The prediction are a CO2 emissions reduction by 21% per car.
A new light close to the entry of pit lane is introduce since round 5, in Taupo when safety car is out. When the lights are on, drivers can pit but it is not counted as one of the two mandatory stops. Pits are allowed for mechanical work to be carried out.
- Swiss female set to be rookie choice Archived October 17, 2007, at the Wayback Machine a1gp.com (September 19, 2007)
- Female rookie for Switzerland Archived October 11, 2007, at the Wayback Machine a1gp.com (October 11, 2007)
- Sepang, Malaysia, Rookies combined Archived 2007-11-26 at the Wayback Machine results.a1gp.com (November 23, 2007)
- Indonesia's new engineering squad a1gp.com (January 20, 2008)
- Zandvoort: A1 Team by Team Race Preview Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine paddocktalk.com (September 28, 2007)
- New qualifying and points system a1gp.com (August 29, 2007)
- Feature race gets second pit stop a1gp.com (August 29, 2007)
- Biofuel confirmed for Taupo a1gp.com (December 18, 2007)
- Safety car pit light introduced a1gp.com (January 18, 2008)