2002 US Open (tennis)
The 2002 US Open was held between August 26 – September 8, 2002.
|2002 US Open|
|Date||August 26 - September 8|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location||New York City, USA|
|Venue||USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center|
|Mahesh Bhupathi / Max Mirnyi|
|Virginia Ruano Pascual / Paola Suárez|
|Mike Bryan / Lisa Raymond|
|Michel Koning / Bas van der Valk|
|Elke Clijsters / Kirsten Flipkens|
Both Lleyton Hewitt and Venus Williams were unsuccessful in their title defences, Hewitt being defeated in the semifinals by Andre Agassi and Venus being defeated in the final by her younger sister Serena. It was the third of four consecutive Grand Slam titles won by Serena, all won by defeating Venus in the final. Pete Sampras, runner-up in 2001, won his fifth US Open title, and his 14th and final Grand Slam title, defeating his rival Agassi in the final in four sets.
- It was Sampras's 14th (and last) career Grand Slam title, and his 5th US Open title.
- It was Serena's 4th career Grand Slam title, and her 2nd US Open title.
- This victory was Sampras' 5th US Open title, an Open Era record he shares with Jimmy Connors and Roger Federer.
- This win marked the third consecutive Grand Slam title for Serena, after having won at the French Open and Wimbledon.
- "US Open Junior Championships Boys Singles" (PDF). International Tennis Federation. Retrieved 16 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2002 US Open (tennis).|
2002 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
2003 Australian Open