2002 NAPA Auto Parts 500
The 2002 NAPA Auto Parts 500 was a NASCAR Winston Cup Series stock car race held on April 28, 2002 at California Speedway in Fontana, California. Contested over 250 laps on the 2-mile (3.23 km) asphalt D-shaped oval, it was the tenth race of the 2002 Winston Cup Series season. Jimmie Johnson of Hendrick Motorsports won the race, his first career Winston Cup Series victory. Kurt Busch finished second and Ricky Rudd finished third.
|Race 10 of 36 in the 2002 NASCAR Winston Cup Series season|
Track map of the speedway at Auto Club Speedway AKA California Speedway
|Date||April 28, 2002|
|Official name||NAPA Auto Parts 500|
|Location||California Speedway, Fontana, California|
Permanent racing facility|
2.0 mi (3.23 km)
|Distance||250 laps, 500 mi (804.672 km)|
|Weather||Temperatures reaching up to 75.9 °F (24.4 °C); wind speeds up to 11.1 miles per hour (17.9 km/h)|
|Average speed||150.088 miles per hour (241.543 km/h)|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Kurt Busch||Roush Racing|
|No. 48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports|
|Television in the United States|
|Network||Fox Broadcasting Company|
|Announcers||Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds|
The track, California Speedway, is a four-turn superspeedway that is 2 miles (3.2 km) long. The track's turns are banked from fourteen degrees, while the front stretch, the location of the finish line, is banked at eleven degrees. Unlike the front stretch, the back straightaway is banked at three degrees.
There were ten drivers who failed to finish the race; with five of the drivers forcing to leave the race due to terminal crashes while five other drivers had engine issues. Nearly 10% of the 199-minute race was held under a caution flag and the average green flag run was approximately 38 laps.
Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s unfortunate accident forced NASCAR to pass a regulation forcing drivers to take the ambulance ride to the infield care center every time they crashed; he did not admit to have this injury until mid-September.
- Time of race: 3:19:53
- Average Speed: 150.088 miles per hour (241.543 km/h)
- Pole Speed: 187.432 miles per hour (301.643 km/h)
- Cautions: 5 for 24 laps
- Margin of Victory: 0.620 sec
- Lead changes: 20
- Percent of race run under caution: 9.6%
- Average green flag run: 37.7 laps
- "2002 NAPA Auto Parts 500 weather information". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 2015-04-15.
- "Auto Club Speedway Track Facts". Auto Club Speedway. Archived from the original on 2010-08-24. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "2002 NAPA Auto Parts 500 DNF information". Driver Averages. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- "2002 NAPA Auto Parts 500 caution flag information". Racing Reference. Retrieved 2015-04-17.