2001 Tecate/Telmex Grand Prix of Monterrey
The 2001 Tecate/Telmex Grand Prix of Monterrey was a Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) motor race held on March 11, 2001 at Fundidora Park in Monterrey, Mexico in front of a crowd of 116,000 people. It was the first round of the 2001 CART FedEx Championship Series season and the inaugural open-wheel race at Monterrey (not to be confused with the Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca in California). It was the first time CART had raced in Mexico since 1981. Newman/Haas Racing driver Cristiano da Matta led 32 laps of a timed race en route to his second career victory and his first with the team. Defending series champion Gil de Ferran finished 2nd and Paul Tracy finished 3rd.
|Race 1 of 21 in the 2001 CART season|
|Date||March 11, 2001|
|Official name||2001 Tecate/Telmex Grand Prix of Monterrey Presented by Herdez|
|Location||Fundidora Park, Monterrey, Mexico|
|Course||Temporary Street Course|
2.105 mi / 3.39 km
|Distance||78 (shortened from 80) laps|
164.19 mi / 264.42 km
|Driver||Kenny Bräck (Team Rahal)|
|Driver||Dario Franchitti (Team Green)|
|Time||1:15.403 (on lap 59 of 78 (shortened from 80))|
|First||Cristiano da Matta (Newman-Haas Racing)|
|Second||Gil de Ferran (Team Penske)|
|Third||Paul Tracy (Team Green)|
Despite leading much the first half of the race and starting on pole, Team Rahal driver Kenny Bräck finished 5th after he first experienced engine difficulties and then brake problems later on. Multiple drivers and teams experienced difficulties with their cars as this was the first full race of the season.
The race distance was shortened from 80 to 78 laps to comply with the two-hour time limit. There were five lead changes and three cautions. The race was considered a huge success for an inaugural event, and it remained on the CART calendar until 2006; its success inspired a second event in Mexico City from 2002 to 2007.
|March 10, 2001 - Qualifying Speeds|
|1||Kenny Bräck||1:15.244||–||100.665||Team Rahal|
|2||Cristiano da Matta||1:15.439||+0.195||100.404||Newman-Haas Racing|
|3||Gil de Ferran||1:15.551||+0.307||100.255||Team Penske|
|4||Hélio Castroneves||1:15.580||+0.336||100.217||Team Penske|
|5||Michael Andretti||1:16.104||+0.860||99.527||Team Motorola|
|6||Patrick Carpentier||1:16.353||+1.109||99.202||Forsythe Racing|
|7||Dario Franchitti||1:16.375||+1.131||99.174||Team Green|
|8||Oriol Servià||1:16.44||+1.200||99.084||Sigma Autosport|
|9||Jimmy Vasser||1:16.456||+1.212||99.069||Patrick Racing|
|10||Roberto Moreno||1:16.484||+1.240||99.032||Patrick Racing|
|11||Max Papis||1:16.512||+1.268||98.996||Team Rahal|
|12||Tony Kanaan||1:16.647||+1.403||98.822||Mo Nunn Racing|
|13||Alex Tagliani||1:16.716||+1.472||98.733||Forsythe Racing|
|14||Scott Dixon (R)||1:16.826||+1.582||98.592||PacWest Racing|
|15||Paul Tracy||1:16.909||+1.665||98.485||Team Green|
|16||Christian Fittipaldi||1:16.937||+1.693||98.449||Newman-Haas Racing|
|17||Maurício Gugelmin||1:17.005||+1.761||98.362||PacWest Racing|
|18||Bryan Herta||1:17.137||+1.893||98.194||Forsythe Racing|
|19||Adrian Fernández||1:17.270||+2.026||98.025||Fernandez Racing|
|20||Bruno Junqueira (R)||1:17.505||+2.261||97.728||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|21||Nicolas Minassian (R)||1:17.750||+2.326||97.646||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|22||Alex Zanardi||1:17.851||+2.607||97.294||Mo Nunn Racing|
|23||Michael Krumm||1:17.914||+2.670||97.215||Dale Coyne Racing|
|24||Michel Jourdain, Jr.||1:18.381||+3.137||96.636||Bettenhausen Racing|
|25||Tora Takagi||1:18.991||+3.747||95.889||Walker Motorsport|
|26||Max Wilson (R)||1:19.294||+4.050||95.523||Arciero Racing|
|27||Shinji Nakano||1:19.362||+4.118||95.441||Fernandez Racing|
|28||Luiz Garcia, Jr.||1:20.931||+5.687||93.591||Dale Coyne Racing|
- Lead changes: 5 among 4 drivers
Standings after the raceEdit
- "2001 Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix Presented by Herdez Qualifying Results". Championship Auto Racing Teams. March 10, 2001. Archived from the original on January 10, 2003. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "2001 Tecate Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix Presented by Herdez". Championship Auto Racing Teams. March 11, 2001. Archived from the original on January 10, 2003. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- Championship Auto Racing Teams (March 2001). "CART FedEx Championship Series - 2001 Rule Book". Archived from the original on 2016-05-28. Retrieved 2017-05-22.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- "2001 Tecate Telmex Grand Prix of Monterrey Box Score" (PDF). Championship Auto Racing Teams. March 11, 2001. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 23, 2003. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "2001 Tecate/Telmex Grand Prix of Monterrey Results". Racing-reference.info. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
- "Points standings after Monterrey". Motorsport.com. Retrieved May 31, 2017.
|CART Indycar World Series
2001 Toyota Long Beach Grand Prix
|Tecate/Telmex Grand Prix of Monterrey||Next race:|
2002 Tecate/Telmex Monterrey Grand Prix