2001 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston
The 2001 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston was a Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) motor race held on October 7, 2001 on the streets of Houston, Texas, USA. It was the 18th round of the 2001 CART FedEx Championship Series season. Gil de Ferran took his second win of the season for Team Penske after starting on pole position and leading every lap ahead of Dario Franchitti and Memo Gidley.
|Race 18 of 21 in the 2001 CART season|
|Date||October 7, 2001|
|Official name||2001 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston|
|Location||George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston, Texas, United States|
|Course||Temporary street course|
1.527 mi / 2.457 km
152.7 mi / 245.7 km
|Driver||Gil de Ferran (Team Penske)|
|Driver||Jimmy Vasser (Patrick Racing)|
|Time||1:00.928 (on lap 75 of 100)|
|First||Gil de Ferran (Team Penske)|
|Second||Dario Franchitti (Team Green)|
|Third||Memo Gidley (Chip Ganassi Racing)|
de Ferran inherited the lead of the drivers' standings from Kenny Bräck by virtue of his win here and at the previous race at Rockingham, a lead he would not relinquish for the rest of the season. The difficult road course on the streets of Houston meant that little on-track passing could occur, and de Ferran's position throughout the race was rarely in jeopardy. Franchitti was one of the few that could muscle his way through the field despite being hit by Hélio Castroneves at the start of the race, taking his third podium finish at Houston in four starts and his third podium of the season. Gidley, after starting 23rd, used pit strategy to move his way through the field and take his second podium of the season and his career.
The race saw multiple incidents and crashes as drivers struggled around the temporary circuit. Alex Tagliani, despite running near the front for the entire race, crashed from 2nd place with just seven laps remaining. Oriol Servià and Michel Jourdain Jr. also crashed on Lap 37, with Servià's car ending up on top of Jourdain's.
This was the final time CART would race at this track configuration in Houston; the series would return in 2006 using a temporary circuit at NRG Park, while the IndyCar Series would race in Houston from 2013-2014.
|October 6, 2001 - Qualifying Speeds|
|1||Gil de Ferran||59.421||—||92.513||Team Penske|
|2||Bruno Junqueira (R)||59.943||+0.522||91.707||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|3||Kenny Bräck||59.947||+0.526||91.701||Team Rahal|
|4||Hélio Castroneves||1:00.063||+0.642||91.524||Team Penske|
|5||Alex Tagliani||1:00.191||+0.770||91.329||Forsythe Racing|
|6||Dario Franchitti||1:00.433||+1.012||90.964||Team Green|
|7||Scott Dixon (R)||1:00.446||+1.025||90.944||PacWest Racing|
|8||Cristiano da Matta||1:00.491||+1.070||90.876||Newman-Haas Racing|
|9||Maurício Gugelmin||1:00.502||+1.081||90.860||PacWest Racing|
|10||Tony Kanaan||1:00.548||+1.127||90.791||Mo Nunn Racing|
|11||Roberto Moreno||1:00.612||+1.191||90.695||Patrick Racing|
|12||Michael Andretti||1:00.625||+1.204||90.675||Team Motorola|
|13||Christian Fittipaldi||1:00.681||+1.260||90.592||Newman-Haas Racing|
|14||Tora Takagi (R)||1:00.793||+1.291||90.425||Walker Motorsport|
|15||Adrian Fernández||1:00.861||+1.440||90.324||Fernandez Racing|
|16||Shinji Nakano||1:00.949||+1.528||90.193||Fernandez Racing|
|17||Oriol Servià||1:01.182||+1.761||89.850||Sigma Autosport|
|18||Michel Jourdain, Jr.||1:01.192||+1.771||89.835||Bettenhausen Racing|
|19||Max Papis||1:01.289||+1.868||89.693||Team Rahal|
|20||Patrick Carpentier||1:01.310||+1.889||89.662||Forsythe Racing|
|21||Paul Tracy||1:01.382||+1.961||89.557||Team Green|
|22||Bryan Herta||1:01.418||+1.997||89.505||Forsythe Racing|
|23||Memo Gidley||1:01.611||+2.190||89.224||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|24||Jimmy Vasser||1:02.129||+2.708||88.840||Patrick Racing|
|25||Casey Mears||1:02.799||+3.376||87.536||Mo Nunn Racing|
|26||Max Wilson (R)||1:02.912||+3.491||87.379||Arciero Racing|
- Lead changes: 0 among 0 drivers
Standings after the raceEdit
- "2001 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston Qualifying Results". Championship Auto Racing Teams. October 6, 2001. Archived from the original on May 4, 2003. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "2001 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston Race Results". Championship Auto Racing Teams. October 7, 2001. Archived from the original on May 4, 2003. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- Championship Auto Racing Teams (March 2001). "CART FedEx Championship Series - 2001 Rule Book". Archived from the original on 2016-05-28. Retrieved 2017-05-22.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "2001 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston Results". Racing-reference.info. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "2001 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston Box Score" (PDF). Championship Auto Racing Teams. October 7, 2001. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 31, 2003. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- "CART Monterey Preview". Championship Auto Racing Teams. October 9, 2001. Archived from the original on April 3, 2003. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
2001 Rockingham 500
|CART Indycar World Series
2001 Honda Grand Prix of Monterey
2000 Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston
|Texaco/Havoline Grand Prix of Houston||Next race:|