2000 Australian Open
The 2000 Australian Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts at Melbourne Park in Melbourne in Australia. It was the 88th edition of the Australian Open and was held from 17 through 30 January 2000.
|2000 Australian Open|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Surface||Hardcourt (Rebound Ace)|
|Ellis Ferreira / Rick Leach|
|Lisa Raymond / Rennae Stubbs|
|Rennae Stubbs / Jared Palmer|
Both Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Martina Hingis were unsuccessful in their title defences, both being defeated in the final matches by Andre Agassi and Lindsay Davenport, respectively. For Agassi, it was the second of four Australian Open titles, and for Davenport it was her final Grand Slam title.
The following are the former Grand Slam champions in the draw:
- Andre Agassi ('95 Australian, '99 French, '92 Wimbledon, '94 and '99 US Open)
- Michael Chang ('89 French)
- Jim Courier ('91-'92 French, '92-'93 Australian)
- Yevgeny Kafelnikov ('99 Australian, '96 French)
- Richard Krajicek ('96 Wimbledon)
- Gustavo Kuerten ('97 French)
- Pete Sampras ('94 and '97 Australian, '93-'95 and '97-'99 Wimbledon, '90 & '93 & '95-'96 US Open)
The following are former Grand Slam finalists in the draw:
- It was Agassi's 1st title of the year, and his 45th overall. It was his 6th career Grand Slam title, and his 2nd Australian Open title.
- It was Davenport's 1st title of the year, and her 27th overall. It was her 3rd (and last) career Grand Slam title, and her 1st Australian Open title.
Total prize money for the event was A$12,420,500.