The inaugural Japan Record Awards were held on December 27, 1959. They recognized musical accomplishments by performers for the year 1959. Hiroshi Mizuhara won the Grand Prix award, defeated Frank Nagai by a vote.
|1st Japan Record Awards|
|Date||December 27, 1959|
|Venue||Bunkyo City Hall|
Japan Record AwardEdit
- Hiroshi Mizuhara (ja) – "Kuroi Hanabira" (ja)
- Lyricist: Rokusuke Ei
- Composer: Hachidai Nakamura
- Record Company: EMI Music Japan
Best Vocal PerformanceEdit
- Frank Nagai – "Yogiri ni Kaeta Chalk"
- Hachirou Satou (ja) – "Flute"
- Singer: Chiyoko Shimakura
- Composer: Yūji Koseki
- Masanobu Tokuchi – "Yogiri ni Kaeta Chalk"
- Singer: Frank Nagai
- Lyricist: Tetsuo Miyagawa
Children's Song AwardEdit
- ^ "活動〜日本レコード大賞〜【公益社団法人 日本作曲家協会】" (in Japanese). Japan Composer's Association. Retrieved 22 July 2018.