1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Brigade
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Brigade (1 ISR Bde) of the British Army was created as part of the Army 2020 reforms. Falling under Force Troops Command (now re-designated 6th UK Division). it became operational on 1 September 2014 and has responsibility for all British Army ISR capabilities including electronic warfare and signals intelligence; Weapon Locating Radar and other technical surveillance equipment; surveillance and target acquisition patrols; and unmanned aerial systems. It is intended to be able to deploy tailored ISR Groups to support deployments.
|1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Brigade|
|Active||1 September 2014 – present|
|Type||Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance|
|Part of||6th UK Division.|
|Headquarters||Trenchard Lines, Upavon|
|Equipment||Weapon Locating Radar|
|Website||1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Brigade|
|Brigadier Julian N.E. Buczacki |
Under its headquarters at Upavon, the Brigade consists of 10 regular and seven reserve units:[failed verification] An unclassified document issued by then Force Troops Command in 2019 does not mention 21 and 23 SAS as part of the brigade.
|Unit||Role||Regular or Reserve||Location||Note|
|14 Signal Regiment (Electronic Warfare)||Ground-based electronic warfare and signals intelligence||Regular||Cawdor Barracks|
|5th Regiment Royal Artillery||Weapon Locating Radar, medium and heavy ground-based ISTAR||Regular||Marne Barracks|
|Honourable Artillery Company||Surveillance & Reconnaissance (SR) Patrols and light ground-based intelligence||Reserve||Finsbury Barracks|
|32 Regiment Royal Artillery||Integrated Unmanned Aerial Systems (IUAS)||Regular||Larkhill||Initially slated to disband and personnel distributed to other parts of the British Army as part of Army 2020 Refine. On 8 October 2019, the regiment's commanding officer announced the regiment will not disband as planned.|
|1 Military Intelligence Battalion||Military Intelligence||Regular||Catterick|
|2 Military Intelligence (Exploitation) Battalion||Material and Personnel Exploitation||Regular||Upavon|
|3 Military Intelligence Battalion||Military Intelligence||Reserve||Hackney|
|4 Military Intelligence Battalion||Military Intelligence||Regular||Bulford|
|5 Military Intelligence Battalion||Military Intelligence||Reserve||Edinburgh|
|6 Military Intelligence Battalion||Military Intelligence||Reserve||Manchester|
|7 Military Intelligence Battalion||Military Intelligence||Reserve||Bristol|||
|Defence Cultural Specialist Unit||Support to Military Intelligence units||Regular||Denison Barracks|||
|Weapons Material and Personnel Exploitation Capacity||Support to Military Intelligence units||Regular|
|Land Intelligence Fusion Centre||Intelligence reachback||Regular||Denison Barracks|||
|Specialist Group Military Intelligence||Professional augmentation to intelligence capacities||Reserve||Denison Barracks|
|21 (Artists) (Reserve) SAS Regiment||Human, Environment, Reconnaissance and Analysis patrols||Reserve||Regent's Park Barracks|||
|23 (Reserve) SAS Regiment||Human, Environment, Reconnaissance and Analysis patrols||Reserve||Kingstanding|||
- "6th UK Division". army.mod.uk. British Army. 1 August 2019. Retrieved 1 August 2019.
- "Generals December 2018" (PDF). Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "May 2014 Defence Review". Jane's International Defence Review. May 2014. p. 4.
- "Transforming the British Army" (PDF). British Army. 12 July 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 June 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Force Troops Command: Overview and Brigades" (PDF). British Army. 14 March 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Force Troops Command Handbook". Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Honourable Artillery Company". Ministry of Defence.
- "Strategic Defence and Security Review - Army: Written statement - HCWS367". UK Parliament. 4 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "32 Regiment Royal Artillery - Wessex Gunners". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 8 October 2019.
- "7 Military Intelligence Battalion". British Army. Retrieved 11 May 2014.
- Robertshaw, Martin (7 March 2013). "Denison Barracks to continue as military base". Newbury Weekly News. Retrieved 19 October 2014.
- "The Defence Cultural Specialist Unit - Opportunities in the Reserves". youtube.com. 8 September 2016. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- Army Briefing Note 120/14, Newly Formed Force Troops Command Specialist Brigades: "It commands all of the Army’s Intelligence, Surveillance and EW assets, and is made up of units specifically from the former 1 MI Bde and 1 Arty Bde, as well as 14 Sig Regt, 21 and 23 SAS(R)."
- Army Reserve Quarterly, Autumn 2014
- "1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Brigade". www.army.mod.uk.
- 1st Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Brigade Website This is though, somewhat not accessible in some regions.