1999 Tournament of the Americas
The 1999 Tournament of the Americas, later known as the FIBA Americas Championship and the FIBA AmeriCup (also known as Las Americas Tournament for Men, the FIBA Americas Olympic Qualifying Tournament, or Panamerican Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men), was a basketball championship hosted by Puerto Rico, from July 14 to July 25, 1999. The games were played in San Juan, at the Roberto Clemente Coliseum. This FIBA AmeriCup was to earn the two berths allocated to the Americas for the 2000 Olympics, in Sydney, Australia. The United States won the tournament, the country's fourth AmeriCup championship.
|Host country||Puerto Rico|
|Venue(s)||1 (in 1 host city)|
|Champions||United States (4th title)|
|Fourth place||Puerto Rico|
Eight teams qualified during the qualification tournaments held in their respective zones in 1999; two teams (USA and Canada) qualified automatically since they are the only members of the North America zone.
- North America: Canada, United States
- Caribbean and Central America: Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, Puerto Rico
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela
The draw split the tournament into two groups:
- The top four teams from each group advance to the quarterfinals.
- Results and standings among teams within the same group are carried over.
- The top four teams at the quarterfinals advance to the semifinals (1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3).
- The winners in the knockout semifinals advance to the Final and were granted berths in the 2000 Summer Olympics tournament in Sydney. The losers figure in a third-place playoff.
|Qualified for the quarterfinals|
|Qualified for the semifinals|
The top four teams in both Group A and Group B advanced to the quarterfinal group. Then each team played the four from the other group once to complete a full round robin. Records from the preliminary groups carried over.
|1999 Tournament of the Americas Winners|
|Most Valuable Player|
|Qualified for the 2000 Summer Olympics|
- Steve Nash, jockbio.com. Retrieved 27 March 2016.
- FIBA Americas 1999 - Men Basketball, Latinbasket.com.
- 1999 Panamerican Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men, FIBA.com.