1998 Western Michigan Broncos football team
The 1998 Western Michigan Broncos football team represented Western Michigan University in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) during the 1998 NCAA Division I-A football season. In their second season under head coach Gary Darnell, the Broncos compiled a 7–4 record (5–3 against MAC opponents), finished in third place in the MAC's West Division, and outscored their opponents, 360 to 312. The team played its home games at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
|1998 Western Michigan Broncos football|
|1998 record||7–4 (5–4 MAC)|
|Head coach||Gary Darnell (2nd season)|
|Home stadium||Waldo Stadium|
|1998 Mid-American Conference football standings|
|Championship: Marshall 23, Toledo 17|
The team's statistical leaders included Tim Lester with 3,311 passing yards, Darnell Fields with 1,016 rushing yards, and Steve Neal with 1,121 receiving yards. Kicker Brad Selent was named the MAC special teams player of the year.
|September 3||Northern Illinois||W 37–23|
|September 12||at Indiana*||L 30–45|
|September 19||at Toledo||L 7–35|
|September 26||Ohio||L 35–37|
|October 3||Louisiana Monroe*||W 27–14|
|October 10||at Vanderbilt*||W 27–24|
|October 17||Eastern Michigan||W 45–35|
|October 24||at Central Michigan||L 24–26|
|October 31||at Kent State||W 48–23|
|November 7||at Ball State||W 24–23|
|November 14||Bowling Green||W 56–27|
- "Football Records: Annual Results". Western Michigan University. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- "Football Records: Year-By-Year Results - 1990 - 99". Western Michigan University. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- "1998 Western Michigan Broncos Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- "Waldo Stadium". Western Michigan University. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- "1998 Western Michigan Broncos Stats". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
- "Football History: Conference Awards". Western Michigan University. Retrieved July 6, 2016.