1997 Kent State Golden Flashes football team
The 1997 Kent State Golden Flashes football team was an American football team that represented Kent State University in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) during the 1997 NCAA Division I-A football season. In their fifth and final season under head coach Jim Corrigall, the Golden Flashes compiled a 3–8 record (3–5 against MAC opponents), finished in a tie for fourth place in the MAC East, and were outscored by all opponents by a combined total of 490 to 337.
|1997 Kent State Golden Flashes football|
|1997 record||3–8 (3–5 MAC)|
|Head coach||Jim Corrigall (5th season)|
|Home stadium||Dix Stadium|
|1997 Mid-American Conference football standings|
|Championship: Marshall 34, Toledo 14|
The team's statistical leaders included running back Astron Whatley with 876 rushing yards, quarterback Jose Davis with 2,707 passing yards, and wide receiver Eugene Baker with 1,549 receiving yards. Four Kent State players were selected as first-team All-MAC players: Whatley, Baker, offensive guard Bob Hallen, and offensive tackle Steve Zahursky.
|1997 Kent State Golden Flashes football team roster|
- "2016 Kent State Football Record Book" (PDF). Kent State University. p. D8. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- "1997 Kent State Golden Flashes Schedule and Results". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- 2016 Kent State Football Record Book, pp. D17-D19.
- "1997 Kent State Golden Flashes Stats". SR/College Football. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved October 5, 2016.
- 2016 Kent State Football Record Book, p. D42.