1997 French Open
The 1997 French Open was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor clay courts at the Stade Roland Garros in Paris, France. The tournament was held from 26 May until 8 June. It was the 101st staging of the French Open, and the second Grand Slam tennis event of 1997.
|1997 French Open|
|Date||26 May – 8 June|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location||Paris (XVIe), France|
|Venue||Stade Roland Garros|
|Yevgeny Kafelnikov / Daniel Vacek|
|Gigi Fernández / Natalia Zvereva|
|Rika Hiraki / Mahesh Bhupathi|
- • It was Kuerten's 1st career Grand Slam singles title (and his 1st title overall).
- • It was Majoli's 1st and only career Grand Slam singles title.
- • It was Kafelnikov's 2nd career Grand Slam doubles title and his 2nd (consecutive) title at the French Open.
- • It was Vacek's 2nd career Grand Slam doubles title and his 2nd (consecutive) title at the French Open.
- • It was Fernández' 16th career Grand Slam doubles title and her 6th and last title at the French Open.
- • It was Zvereva's 17th career Grand Slam doubles title and her 6th and last title at the French Open.
- • It was Hiraki's 1st and only career Grand Slam mixed doubles title.
- • It was Bhupathi's 1st career Grand Slam mixed doubles title.
- Kuerten became the first male tennis player from Brazil to win a Grand Slam singles title. He also became the 2nd unseeded men's singles winner (after Mats Wilander in 1982).
- Majoli became the first tennis player from Croatia (male or female) to win a Grand Slam singles title.
- Henin won the 2003 women's singles crown, and would go to win 4 singles titles (in 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007).
- Horna won the 2008 men's doubles crown.
- Black won the 2003 mixed doubles title.
1997 Australian Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1997 Wimbledon Championships