The 1997 Canadian Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on 15 June 1997. The race was stopped early on lap 54 after a big crash involving Olivier Panis, who broke his legs and would be unable to start the next seven Grands Prix. Michael Schumacher won ahead of Jean Alesi in the Benetton and Giancarlo Fisichella in the Jordan. David Coulthard had been leading, but was delayed for over a lap by a clutch problem during his second pit stop, shortly before Panis's crash. On lap 2, local driver Jacques Villeneuve crashed into the wall on the exit of the final corner. This wall would later be known as the 'Wall of Champions', after three former World Champions, including Villeneuve, crashed into it separately in the 1999 race.
|1997 Canadian Grand Prix|
|Race 7 of 17 in the 1997 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||15 June 1997|
|Official name||XXXV Grand Prix Players du Canada|
|Location||Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Course||Temporary street circuit|
|Course length||4.421 km (2.747 miles)|
|Distance||54 laps, 238.734 km (148.342 miles)|
|Scheduled distance||69 laps, 305.049 km (189.549 miles)|
Clear and mild with temperatures approaching 22.7 °C (72.9 °F)|
Wind speeds up to 4.1 km/h (2.5 mph)
|Time||1:19.635 on lap 37|
It also marked the debut of Alexander Wurz, driving for Benetton in place of his compatriot Gerhard Berger. Berger had been suffering from a sinus illness for some time and during his time off his father was killed in a light aircraft accident.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Weather information for the "1997 Canadian Grand Prix"". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- "McLaren's 50 Greatest Drivers". Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. Archived from the original on 15 January 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- F1, STATS. "Canada 1997 - Qualifications • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 13 October 2018.
- "1997 Canadian Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Canada 1997 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "GRAND PRIX RESULTS: CANADIAN GP, 1997". www.grandprix.com. Archived from the original on 9 July 2007. Retrieved 8 October 2007.