1996 British Grand Prix
|1996 British Grand Prix|
|Race 10 of 16 in the 1996 Formula One World Championship|
Silverstone Circuit (as modified in 1996)
|Date||14 July 1996|
|Official name||XLIX British Grand Prix|
Silverstone, Northamptonshire, England
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.072 km (3.152 mi)|
|Distance||61 laps, 309.392 km (192.247 mi)|
|Weather||Warm and sunny with temperatures reaching up to 25 °C (77 °F)|
|Time||1:29.288 on lap 29|
Williams' Jacques Villeneuve took his second win of the season from Benetton's Gerhard Berger, with McLaren's Mika Häkkinen coming home third for his first podium since his near-fatal crash at 1995 Australian Grand Prix. Jordan's Rubens Barrichello took fourth, equalling his best finish of the season, and it came after he had been involved in late collisions while racing for fourth place at the circuit in the previous two years. The final points went to David Coulthard in the second McLaren and Martin Brundle in the second Jordan.
Damon Hill took pole position for his home race, but made a slow start and retired shortly before half distance, after a wheel nut problem caused him to spin off at Copse Corner while he was trying to pass Häkkinen. For the third consecutive race, Ferrari drivers Michael Schumacher and Eddie Irvine were both forced to retire with technical issues in the first six laps – Schumacher with hydraulic problems and Irvine with a differential failure. Jean Alesi would become another notable retirement on lap 45 from 3rd place just ahead of teammate Gerhard Berger when his rear brakes overheated.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- Weather info for the 1996 British Grand Prix at Weather Underground
- "F1 News – Grandprix.com > GP Encyclopedia > Races > British GP, 1996". Grandprix.com. Archived from the original on 23 June 2011. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- "1996 British Grand Prix". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 1 November 2014. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Britain 1996 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
1996 French Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1996 German Grand Prix
1995 British Grand Prix
|British Grand Prix||Next race:|
1997 British Grand Prix