1994 Mindoro earthquake
The 1994 Mindoro earthquake occurred at 03:15:30 PST on November 15 near Mindoro, the Philippines. It had a moment magnitude of 7.1 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VII (Very strong). It is associated with a 35 kilometer-long ground rupture, called the Aglubang River fault. Seventy eight people were reported dead, and 7,566 houses were damaged. The earthquake generated a tsunami and landslides on the Verde Island.
|UTC time||1994-11-14 19:15:30|
|Local date||November 15, 1994|
|Local time||03:15 PST|
|Depth||31.5 km (19.6 mi)|
|Max. intensity||VII (Very strong)|
The epicenter of this earthquake was located in the Verde Island Passage, a strait separating Luzon and Mindoro. The focal mechanism showed predominantly right-lateral strike-slip faulting. The released seismic moment was about 5.12×1019 Nm.
The Aglubang River fault, which shows a right-lateral strike-slip sense of movement, extends from Malaylay Island in the north of Oriental Mindoro to Alcate, Victoria in the south. Measurements along the rupture reveal a maximum horizontal displacement of 4 meters and a maximum vertical displacement of 1.9 meters.
The earthquake generated a tsunami, which affected Mindoro, the Verde Island, the Baco Islands, and Luzon. Some concrete structures also suffered moderate damage in the tsunami. In Baco Islands, the vertical run-up reached 8.5 meters (28 ft). The tsunami was also recorded in Lobo. The tsunami was larger than expected considering the strike-slip movement of the earthquake.
- "M 7.1 - Mindoro, Philippines". United States Geological Survey. November 14, 1994. Retrieved August 31, 2017.
- Tanioka, Y.; Satake, K. (1996), "Tsunami generation by horizontal displacement of ocean bottom" (PDF), Geophysical Research Letters, 23 (8): 863, 864, Bibcode:1996GeoRL..23..861T, doi:10.1029/96GL00736
- Rimando, R.E., Punongbayan, R.S., Geronimo-Catane, S.G., Mirabueno, H.S., Rasdas, A.S., 1995. Ground rupture of the 15 November 1994 Oriental Mindoro (Philippines) earthquake. XXI General Assembly of IUGG, Abstracts, p. A422.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2017-08-28.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jepsjmo/cd-rom/2005cd-rom/pdf/s052/s052p-004_e.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2011-12-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- PHIVOLCS Quick Response Teams, December, 1994. PHIVOLCS Special Report No. 2. THE 15 November 1994 Mindoro Earthquake.
- "Tsunamis – past and present".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-26. Retrieved 2011-12-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)