This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2019)
1990 in sports describes the year's events in world sport.
- Super Bowl XXIV – the San Francisco 49ers (NFC) won 55–10 over the Denver Broncos (AFC)
- Sugar Bowl (1989 season):
- November 11 – Derrick Thomas has 7 sacks for Kansas City Chiefs against Seattle Seahawks.
- March 17 – Taiwan Professional Baseball League, a first official game held.
- June 11 – Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers pitched a no-hitter against the Oakland Athletics.
- The Cincinnati Reds sweep the Oakland A's in the World Series.
- Ira Smith becomes the first player in NCAA history to win consecutive batting titles after hitting .519 with the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks.
National Basketball League (Australia) Finals
- February 11 – Buster Douglas defeated Mike Tyson by a knockout in round 10 to win the world's unified Heavyweight title, in what many consider boxing's biggest upset ever.
- March 17 – Thunder Meets Lightning: Julio César Chávez defeated Meldrick Taylor to unify boxing's world junior welterweight title
- September 22 to October 7 – Asian Games held in Beijing, China
- November 24 to December 3 – Central American and Caribbean Games held in Mexico City
- Phil Taylor (darts player) wins his first world title
- Gaelic football
- Ladies' Gaelic football
- Masters Tournament – Nick Faldo
- U.S. Open – Hale Irwin
- British Open – Nick Faldo
- PGA Championship – Wayne Grady
- PGA Tour money leader – Greg Norman – $1,165,477
- Senior PGA Tour money leader – Lee Trevino – $1,190,518
- North America Cup – Apaches Fame
- United States Pacing Triple Crown races –
- United States Trotting Triple Crown races –
- Australian Inter Dominion Harness Racing Championship –
- Australia – Melbourne Cup won by Kingston Rule
- Canadian Triple Crown Races:
- For the second straight year, a horse sweeps the series.
- France – Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe won by Saumarez
- Ireland – Irish Derby Stakes won by Salsabil
- Japan – Japan Cup won by Better Loosen Up
- English Triple Crown Races:
- United States Triple Crown Races:
- Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships:
- Art Ross Trophy as the NHL's leading scorer during the regular season: Wayne Gretzky, Los Angeles Kings
- Hart Memorial Trophy for the NHL's Most Valuable Player: Mark Messier, Edmonton Oilers
- Stanley Cup – Edmonton Oilers won 4 games to 1 over the Boston Bruins
- World Hockey Championships
- The 6th World Lacrosse Championship is held in Perth, Australia. The United States win, and Canada is the runner-up.
- The Philadelphia Wings beat the New England Blazers 17–7 in the Major Indoor Lacrosse League Championship.
- The Brooklin Redmen win the Mann Cup.
- Orangeville wins the Founders Cup.
- The St. Catharines Athletics win the Minto Cup.
- Grand Slam in tennis men's results:
- Grand Slam in tennis women's results:
- Davis Cup – United States won 3–2 over Australia in world tennis.
- Jerardi, Dick (February 27, 2015). "Remembering Hank, 25 years later". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "Epsom Derby | History, Winners, & Facts | Britannica". www.britannica.com. Retrieved 4 January 2022.
- "Our Games | Commonwealth Games Federation". thecgf.com. Retrieved 4 January 2022.