|1987 Irish Greyhound Derby|
|End date||September 19|
|Total prize money||£27,500 (winner)|
At Shelbourne, 20 September (over 550 yards):
|1st||Rathgallen Tady||Overdraught Pet - Mea West||6||8-1||30.49||Ger McKenna|
|2nd||Carters Lad||Linda's Champion - Carters Lass||5||9-4jf||30.50||M McCall|
|3rd||Randy||Aulton Villa - Melanie||2||9-2||30.62||Christy Daly|
|4th||Ardfert Sean||Easy and Slow - Keilduff Fun||1||9-4jf||30.68||Matt O'Donnell|
|5th||Gino||Ballyheigue Moon - Model Snowdrop||3||7-1||30.69||Tony Meek|
|6th||Balalika||Moral Support - Bonvella||4||5-1||30.81||Ger McKenna|
short-head, 1½, ¾, short-head, 1½ (lengths)
In round two carters Lad won in 30.41 and Oughter Brigg in 30.42. Laurels winner Yellow Bud also went well recording 30.43. Odell King set the fastest time in the third round when winning in 30.33. English challenger Gino won in 30.54, Ardfert Sean in 30.53 and Carters Lad 30.63.
The semi-finals started with Randy defeating Balalika in 30.43, before Ardfert Sean defeated Rathgallen Tady in 30.60. Finally Carters Lad lost his unbeaten record to Tony Meek's Gino in 30.44. The six finalists all looked capable of winning the event based on their qualifying.
An outsider of the field Rathgallen Tady recorded his first win when it mattered by winning the fina). He held off a spirited challenge by kennelmate Balalika and then at the line a late burst by 1986 Irish Greyhound Derby finalist Carters Lad to win by a short head. Leading owner Eddie Costello had won his first Irish Derby but fate dealt a huge blow because he was at his London home mourning the death of his wife Grace 24 hours earlier.
- Genders, Roy (1990). NGRC book of Greyhound Racing. Pelham Books Ltd. p. 261. ISBN 0-7207-1804-X.
- Hobbs, Jonathan (2008). Greyhound Annual 2008, pages 177-178. Raceform. ISBN 978-1-905153-534.
- Barnes, Julia (1988). Daily Mirror Greyhound Fact File. Ringpress Books. pp. 343–344. ISBN 0-948955-15-5.
- "Monthly Greyhound Star (Remember When 1987) September edition". Greyhound Star. 2012.
- Fortune, Michael. The 75 Years History of the Irish Greyhound Derby. Irish Greyhound Review. ISSN 0332-3536.