This article needs additional citations for verification
. (February 2019)
The year 1986 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- David Adickes – Cornet (sculpture, Galveston, Texas)
- Ruth Asawa – Aurora (sculpture, San Francisco)
- John Buckley – The Headington Shark (Untitled 1986; painted fibreglass sculpture)
- Wayne Chabre – Einstein Gargoyle (sculpture, Eugene, Oregon)
- John Doubleday – Royal Marines Commando Memorial (Lympstone, England)
- Georgia Gerber – Animals in Pools (sculptures, Portland, Oregon)
- David Hockney – Pearblossom Highway #2 (photocollage)
- Ellsworth Kelly – Houston Triptych (bronze sculpture, Houston, Texas)
- Igor Mitoraj – Heros de Lumiere
- Odd Nerdrum – Return of the Sun
- Kantilal B. Patel – Mohandas Gandhi (sculpture, New York City)
- Andrew Wyeth – Flood Plain
- Jamie Wyeth – Kalounna in Frogtown (Terra Foundation for American Art)
- Yu Tang Wang and Sun Chau – Chinatown Gateway (structure, Portland, Oregon)
- 15 April – Amy Louise Nettleton, British installation and sculpture artist.
- Oscar Murillo, Colombian-born artist.
January to JuneEdit
July to DecemberEdit
- 7 April – Cecil King, Irish abstract-minimalist painter (b. 1921).
- 30 June – Guan Zilan, Chinese avant-garde painter (b. 1903)
- 22 July – Floyd Gottfredson, American cartoonist (b. 1905).
- 31 August – Henry Moore, English artist and sculptor (b. 1898).
- 9 September – Albert Malet, French painter (b. 1912).
- 12 September
- 18 September – Corita Kent, American nun and silkscreen printer (b. 1918).
- 11 October – Barker Fairley, English-born Canadian painter, writer, and educator (b. 1887).
- 23 October – Conrad O'Brien-ffrench, British intelligence officer, mountaineer and painter (b.1893).