1985 Irish Greyhound Derby
|1985 Irish Greyhound Derby|
|End date||21 September|
|Total prize money||£25,000 (winner)|
At Shelbourne, 21 September (over 525 yards):
|1st||Tubbercurry Lad||Liberty Lad - Tubbercurry Nancy||6||9-4f||29.14||Charlie Faul|
|2nd||Manorville Sand||Sand Man - Westmead City||4||5-1||29.38||Paddy Doran|
|3rd||Cast No Stones||Lax Law - Morning Frolics||2||7-2||29.54||Francie Murray|
|4th||Jackie Come Home||Liberty Lad - Nearly Missed It||1||7-2||29.70||C O'Malley & P Mulclaire|
|5th||Gastrognome||Come On Poucher - Lisk Inca||3||8-1||29.86||Paul McKenna|
|6th||Lispopple Story||Liberty Lad - Lispopple Blast||5||7-1||30.22||Noel Kinsella|
3, 2, 2, 2, 4½ (lengths)
1985 Shelbourne 600 winner Lispopple Story and Sir Hestor impressed in the first round with sub 29-second first round victories. Manorville Sand produced a very fast second round victory performance coming from behind Jackie Come Home to win in 28.96 and the English challenger Hong Kong Mike won in 29.00.
Cast No Stones (28.95), Tubbercurry Lad (29.14) and Gastrognome all won well in round three. In the semi-finals on slow going Lispopple Story beat Jackie Come Home in 29.73, Tubbercurry Lad defeated Manorville Sand in 29.40 and Cast No Stones sealed a win over Gastrognome in 29.37.
In the final Jackie Come Home drew trap one which spelled disaster for the field because she was a wide runner. As the traps opened the orange six jacket (trap colours were not the colours used today) of Tubbercurry Lad broke best. As expected, Jackie Come Home moved off and caused mayhem gifting the race to Tubbercurry Lad. Manorville Sand a natural stayer ran on for second place. Incidentally Moneypoint Coal trained by Seamus Graham scored a win in the consolation race in a very fast 28.84.
- Genders, Roy (1990). NGRC book of Greyhound Racing. Pelham Books Ltd. p. 261. ISBN 0-7207-1804-X.
- Hobbs, Jonathan (2008). Greyhound Annual 2008, pages 177-178. Raceform. ISBN 978-1-905153-534.
- "Monthly Greyhound Star (Remember When) September edition". Greyhound Star. 2012.
- Barnes, Julia (1988). Daily Mirror Greyhound Fact File. Ringpress Books. pp. 343–344. ISBN 0-948955-15-5.
- Fortune, Michael. The 75 Years History of the Irish Greyhound Derby. Irish Greyhound Review. ISSN 0332-3536.