The year 1984 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- Alberto Burri – Cretto di Burri ("Il Grande Cretto", land art, Gibellina, Sicily, Italy; work begins)
- John Doubleday – Statue of Dylan Thomas (Marina, Swansea)
- Jean Dubuffet – Monument with Standing Beast (fiberglass sculpture, Chicago Loop)
- Felim Egan – Battle of Hercules and Antaeus
- Steve Gillman – From Within Shalom (sculpture, Portland, Oregon)
- Frederick Hart – The Three Soldiers (bronze statue)
- Nancy Holt – Dark Star Park, Rosslyn, Virginia
- Keith Jellum – Electronic Poet (sculpture, Portland, Oregon)
- Nabil Kanso – Apocalyptic Riders (diptych)
- Lee Kelly – Akbar's Garden (sculpture, Eugene, Oregon)
- R. B. Kitaj – Cecil Court, London W.C.2. (The Refugees) (1983-84)
- Roy Lichtenstein – Brushstrokes in Flight (sculpture, Columbus, Ohio)
- Steve McCurry – Afghan Girl (photographic portrait)
- Odd Nerdrum – Iron Law
- Humphrey Ocean – Philip Larkin
- Roland Poska – From Blue to Blue
- Gleb Savinov – Nevsky Prospekt
- Paul Sutinen – In the Shadow of the Elm (sculpture, Portland, Oregon)
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
January to JuneEdit
July to DecemberEdit
- July 7 – Dirk Hannema, Dutch museum director and art collector (b. 1895).
- July 8 – Brassaï, Hungarian photographer, sculptor and filmmaker (b. 1899)
- July 9 – Peter Hurd, American artist (b. 1904)
- August 2 – Quirino Cristiani, Argentine animation director and cartoonist (b. 1896).
- September 16 – Meredith Frampton, English portrait painter (b. 1894)
- October 7 – Arnold Akberg, Estonian painter (b. 1894)
- October 29 – Jacques Adnet, French modernist designer, architect and interior designer (b. 1900).
- December 1 – Roelof Frankot, Dutch painter (b. 1911)