1983 World 600
|Race 12 of 30 in the 1983 NASCAR Winston Cup Series season|
Layout of Charlotte Motor Speedway
|Date||May 29, 1983|
|Official name||World 600|
|Location||Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord, North Carolina|
Permanent racing facility|
1.500 mi (2.414 km)
|Distance||400 laps, 600 mi (965 km)|
|Weather||Partly cloudy with a high around 80.1 °F (26.7 °C); wind out of the ESE at 7.48 miles per hour (12.04 km/h)|
|Average speed||140.707 miles per hour (226.446 km/h)|
|Most laps led|
|No. 75||Neil Bonnett||RahMoc Enterprises|
|Television in the United States|
Ken Squier |
The race was held at Charlotte Motor Speedway, a 1.5-mile (2.4 km) quad-oval track located thirteen miles from Charlotte, North Carolina in Concord. The track sanctioned NASCAR Winston Cup Series events biannually during the 1983 season, with the other race being the Miller High Life 500. The track opened for the 1960 World 600, and was built by Bruton Smith and Curtis Turner.
This event took four hours, fifteen minutes, and fifty-one seconds to complete. Five cautions were waved for twenty-eight laps. Neil Bonnett defeated Richard Petty by a margin of 0.8 seconds in front of 137,000 people. Notable speeds for this race were: 140.707 miles per hour (226.446 km/h) as the average speed and 162.841 miles per hour (262.067 km/h) as the pole position speed. Bonnett had previously won the 1982 running of the same event and would repeat his success. However, he would never win another World 600 race after this one. Canadian driver Trevor Boys started in 33rd and finished in 20th during this race in his #48 Chevrolet. Total winnings for this race were $407,190 ($1,024,301 when adjusted for inflation).
Jimmy Means was in the top 10 in points after this race. He was ahead in the point standings of NASCAR legends such as Ricky Rudd, Dave Marcis, Tim Richmond, Geoff Bodine, Kyle Petty, and Dale Earnhardt.
Other notable racers included: Mark Martin (in his #01 Chevrolet), Ricky Rudd (in his #3 Chevrolet), Terry Labonte (in his #44 Chevrolet), and Cale Yarborough (in his #28 Chevrolet). Margaret Claud Padgett was the designated Miss Winston for this race in addition to every NASCAR Winston Cup Series racing event held from 1981 to 1985.
Drivers that failed to qualify were: Ronnie Thomas (#41), Lennie Pond, Jody Ridley (#84) and Rick Baldwin (#04).
- Neil Bonnett
- Richard Petty (highest finishing Pontiac vehicle)
- Bobby Allison
- Darrell Waltrip
- Dale Earnhardt† (highest finishing Ford vehicle)
- Lake Speed
- Buddy Baker†
- Kyle Petty
- Morgan Shepherd
- Dave Marcis
- Bobby Hillin, Jr.
- Buddy Arrington
- Dean Combs
- Joe Ruttman
- Tommy Ellis
- Bill Elliott
- Ken Ragan
- Bobby Wawak†
- Sterling Marlin
- Trevor Boys
- Jim Vandiver
- H. B. Bailey†
- D. K. Ulrich
- Slick Johnson†
- Harry Gant
- J. D. McDuffie†
- Bob Senneker*
- Cale Yarborough*
- Mark Martin*
- Phillip Duffie*
- Rick Newsom
- Ricky Rudd
- Terry Labonte*
- Benny Parsons*†
- Tommy Gale*†
- Geoffrey Bodine*
- Dick Brooks*†
- Jimmy Means*
- David Pearson*
- Tim Richmond*†
- Ron Bouchard*† (finished in last place due to an oil seal problem on lap 14)
† signifies that the driver is known to be deceased
* Driver failed to finish race
Standings after the raceEdit
- "1983 World 600 weather information". The Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- "1983 World 600 racing results (third reference)". Driver Averages. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "1983 World 600 racing results". Racing Reference. Retrieved 2010-12-11.
- "Neil Bonnett's Victory at the 1983 World 600". NeilBonnett.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- "Neil Bonnett's Story". Neil Bonnett.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Margaret Claud Padgett information". Miss Winston. Retrieved 2011-05-02.
- "Qualifying information". Racing Reference. Retrieved 2017-04-08.
- "1983 World 600 racing results (winner only)". Charlotte Motor Speedway. Archived from the original on 2011-01-30. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
1983 Valleydale 500
| NASCAR Winston Cup Series races
1983 Budweiser 400
| World 600 races