1980 NFL season
|Duration||September 7 – December 22, 1980|
|Start date||December 28, 1980|
|AFC Champions||Oakland Raiders|
|NFC Champions||Philadelphia Eagles|
|Super Bowl XV|
|Date||January 25, 1981|
|Site||Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Date||February 1, 1981|
After the league declined to approve the proposed move by the Raiders from Oakland, California to Los Angeles, the team along with the Los Angeles Coliseum sued the NFL for violating antitrust laws. A verdict in the trial would not be decided until before the 1982 NFL season. The Los Angeles Rams left the Coliseum for Anaheim Stadium in Orange County.
Major rule changesEdit
- A ten-second runoff will be implemented when a team commits the following actions to conserve time within the last minute of either half or overtime (later changed to after the two-minute warning in the 2017 NFL season):
- Fouls by either team that prevents the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.)
- Intentional grounding
- Illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage
- Throwing a backward pass out of bounds
- Spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down has ended, except after a touchdown
- Any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop.
- Any excess time-out taken for injuries by either team.
Teams can take a time-out (if available) to prevent the runoff.
- Players are prohibited from striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, face, or neck. The personal foul could be called whether or not the initial contact was made below the neck.
- A "Guidelines for Captains" section was added to the rules.
From 1978 to 1989, ten teams qualified for the playoffs: the winners of each of the divisions, and two wild-card teams in each conference. These are the leaders for each playoff slot, week by week. Teams listed in Week 16 indicate playoff participants.
National Football ConferenceEdit
|Week||NFC East||NFC Central||NFC West||Wild Card||Wild Card|
|1||3 teams||1–0||4 teams||1–0||San Francisco||1–0|
|2||Philadelphia||2–0||Detroit, Tampa Bay||2–0||San Francisco||2–0|
|3||Philadelphia||3–0||Detroit||3–0||San Francisco||3–0||Dallas, Tampa Bay, Minnesota||2–1|
|4||Philadelphia, Dallas||3–1||Detroit||4–0||San Francisco||3–1||Philadelphia, Dallas||3–1||4 teams||2–2|
|5||Philadelphia, Dallas||4–1||Detroit||4–1||San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta||3–2||Philadelphia, Dallas||4–1||San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta||3–2|
|6||Philadelphia, Dallas||5–1||Detroit||5–1||Los Angeles||4–2||Philadelphia, Dallas||5–1||Minnesota, San Francisco, Atlanta||3–3|
|8||Philadelphia||7–1||Detroit||5–3||Los Angeles, Atlanta||5–3||Dallas||6–2||Los Angeles, Atlanta||5–3|
|9||Philadelphia||8–1||Detroit||6–3||Los Angeles, Atlanta||6–3||Dallas||7–2||Los Angeles, Atlanta||6–3|
|11||Philadelphia||10–1||Detroit, Minnesota||6–5||Atlanta||8–3||Dallas||8–3||Los Angeles||7–4|
|13||Philadelphia||11–2||Detroit, Minnesota||7–6||Atlanta||10–3||Dallas||10–3||Los Angeles||9–4|
|14||Philadelphia, Dallas||11–3||Minnesota||8–6||Atlanta||11–3||Philadelphia, Dallas||11–3||Los Angeles||9–5|
American Football ConferenceEdit
|Week||AFC East||AFC Central||AFC West||Wild Card||Wild Card|
|1||3 teams||1–0||Pittsburgh||1–0||San Diego, Oakland||1–0|
|3||Buffalo||3–0||Pittsburgh, Houston||2–1||San Diego||3–0||Pittsburgh, Houston, Miami, New England, Oakland||2–1|
|4||Buffalo||4–0||Pittsburgh, Houston||3–1||San Diego||4–0||Pittsburgh, Houston, Miami, New England||3–1||Baltimore, Cleveland, Oakland, Seattle||2–2|
|5||Buffalo||5–0||Pittsburgh||4–1||San Diego||4–1||New England||4–1||Miami, Baltimore, Houston, Seattle||3–2|
|6||Buffalo, New England||5–1||Pittsburgh||4–2||San Diego||4–2||Buffalo, New England||5–1||Baltimore||4–2|
|7||New England||6–1||Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Houston||4–3||San Diego||5–2||Buffalo||5–2||6 teams||4–3|
|8||Buffalo, New England||6–2||Cleveland, Houston||5–3||San Diego, Oakland||5–3||Buffalo, New England||6–2||Cleveland, Houston, San Diego, Oakland||5–3|
|9||New England||7–2||Cleveland, Houston||6–3||San Diego, Oakland||6–3||Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston, San Diego, Oakland||6–3||Baltimore, Pittsburgh||5–4|
|10||Buffalo, New England||7–3||Cleveland, Houston||7–3||Oakland||7–3||Buffalo, New England, Cleveland, Houston||7–3||Pittsburgh, San Diego||6–4|
|11||Buffalo||8–3||Houston||8–3||Oakland||8–3||New England, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, San Diego||7–4||Miami, Baltimore, Denver||6–5|
|12||Buffalo||9–3||Cleveland, Houston||8–4||San Diego, Oakland||8–4||New England, Cleveland, Houston, San Diego, Oakland||8–4||Pittsburgh, Denver||7–5|
|13||Buffalo||9–4||Cleveland||9–4||San Diego, Oakland||9–4||San Diego, Oakland||9–4||New England, Pittsburgh, Houston||8–5|
|14||Buffalo||10–4||Cleveland||10–4||San Diego, Oakland||9–5||San Diego, Oakland, Houston||9–5||New England, Pittsburgh||8–6|
|15||Buffalo||10–5||Cleveland, Houston||10–5||San Diego, Oakland||10–5||Cleveland, Houston, San Diego, Oakland||10–5||New England, Pittsburgh||9–6|
W = Wins, L = Losses, T = Ties, PCT = Winning Percentage, PF= Points For, PA = Points Against
|(3) Buffalo Bills||11||5||0||.688||320||260||Details|
|New England Patriots||10||6||0||.625||441||325||Details|
|New York Jets||4||12||0||.250||302||395||Details|
|(2) Cleveland Browns||11||5||0||.688||357||310||Details|
|(5) Houston Oilers||11||5||0||.688||295||251||Details|
|(1) San Diego Chargers||11||5||0||.688||418||327||Details|
|(4) Oakland Raiders||11||5||0||.688||364||306||Details|
|Kansas City Chiefs||8||8||0||.500||319||336||Details|
|(2) Philadelphia Eagles||12||4||0||.750||384||222||Details|
|(4) Dallas Cowboys||12||4||0||.750||454||311||Details|
|St. Louis Cardinals||5||11||0||.313||299||350||Details|
|New York Giants||4||12||0||.250||249||425||Details|
|(3) Minnesota Vikings||9||7||0||.563||317||308||Details|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||5||10||1||.344||271||341||Details|
|Green Bay Packers||5||10||1||.344||231||371||Details|
|(1) Atlanta Falcons||12||4||0||.750||405||272||Details|
|(5) Los Angeles Rams||11||5||0||.688||424||289||Details|
|San Francisco 49ers||6||10||0||.375||320||415||Details|
|New Orleans Saints||1||15||0||.063||291||487||Details|
- Cleveland finished ahead of Houston in the AFC Central based on better conference record (8–4 to Oilers' 7–5).
- San Diego finished ahead of Oakland in the AFC West based on better net points in division games (plus 60 net points to Raiders' plus 37), all of which became utterly meaningless when the Raiders defeated the Chargers in the AFC Championship game on January 11, 1981.
- San Diego was the top AFC playoff seed based on better conference record than Cleveland and Buffalo (9–3 to Browns' 8–4 and Bills' 8–4).
- Cleveland was the second AFC playoff seed based on better record against common opponents (5–2 to Bills' 5–3).
- Oakland was the first AFC Wild Card based on better conference record than Houston (9–3 to Oilers' 7–5).
- Kansas City finished ahead of Denver in the AFC West based on head-to-head sweep (2–0).
- Philadelphia finished ahead of Dallas in the NFC East based on better net points in division games (plus 84 net points to Cowboys' plus 50).
- Atlanta was the top NFC playoff seed based on head-to-head victory over Philadelphia (1–0).
- Minnesota finished ahead of Detroit in the NFC Central based on better conference record (8–4 to Lions' 9–5).
- Tampa Bay finished ahead of Green Bay in the NFC Central based on better head-to-head record (1–0–1 to Packers' 0–1–1).
- NOTE: The San Diego Chargers (the AFC 1 seed) did not play the Oakland Raiders (the 4 seed) in the Divisional playoff round because both teams were in the same division.
|Jan. 4 – Cleveland Stadium|
|AFC Wild Card Game||AFC Championship|
|Dec. 28 – Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum||Jan. 11 – Jack Murphy Stadium|
|Jan. 3 – Jack Murphy Stadium|
|4||Oakland||27||1||San Diego||27||Super Bowl XV|
|Jan. 25 – Louisiana Superdome|
|Jan. 4 – Atlanta–Fulton County Stadium|
|NFC Wild Card Game||NFC Championship||N2||Philadelphia||10|
|Dec. 28 – Texas Stadium||Jan. 11 – Veterans Stadium|
|Jan. 3 – Veterans Stadium|
|Points scored||Dallas Cowboys (454)|
|Total yards gained||San Diego Chargers (6,410)|
|Yards rushing||Los Angeles Rams (2,799)|
|Yards passing||San Diego Chargers (4,531)|
|Fewest points allowed||Philadelphia Eagles (222)|
|Fewest total yards allowed||Buffalo Bills (4,101)|
|Fewest rushing yards allowed||Detroit Lions (1,599)|
|Fewest passing yards allowed||Washington Redskins (2,171)|