1979 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship Game
The 1979 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship Game was a postseason college football game between the Eastern Kentucky Colonels and the Lehigh Engineers (now the Lehigh Mountain Hawks). The game was played on December 15, 1979, at Orlando Stadium (now Camping World Stadium) in Orlando, Florida. The culminating game of the 1979 NCAA Division I-AA football season, it was won by Eastern Kentucky, 30–7.
|1979 NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship|
|I-AA National Championship Game|
|Date||December 15, 1979|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Bill Flemming (play-by-play), Frank Broyles (color)|
Eastern Kentucky ColonelsEdit
Eastern Kentucky finished their regular season with a 9–2 record (5–1 in conference); their losses were to East Tennessee State of Division I-A and conference rival Murray State. Tied for third with Lehigh in the final AP Poll for I-AA, the Colonels were the at-large selection to the four-team playoff; they defeated Nevada, the West selection, by a score of 33–30 in double overtime to reach the final. This was the first appearance for Eastern Kentucky in a Division I-AA championship game.
Lehigh also finished their regular season with a 9–2 record; they had lost to Colgate of Division I-A and Delaware of Division II. Tied with Eastern Kentucky for third in the final AP Poll for I-AA, the Engineers were the East selection to the playoff; they defeated Murray State, the South selection, by a 28–9 score to reach the final. This was also the first appearance for Lehigh in a Division I-AA championship game.
|Time of possession|
|Lehigh||Passing||Rich Andres||6–19, 102 yds, 2 INT|
|Rushing||Joe Rabuck||17 car, 55 yds|
|Receiving||Paul Anastasio||2 rec, 42 yds|
|Eastern Kentucky||Passing||Bill Hughes||1–5, 49 yds, 2 INT|
|Rushing||Dale Patton||21 car, 121 yds, 1 TD|
|Receiving||Jerry Parrish||1 rec, 49 yds|
- "E. Kentucky whips Lehigh for I-AA title". Tallahassee Democrat. Tallahassee, Florida. AP. December 16, 1979. p. 5F. Retrieved May 12, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- Henniger, Paul (December 15, 1979). "Viewing Sports". Los Angeles Times. p. 2. Retrieved May 12, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "Lehigh Routed By 30‐7". The New York Times. AP. December 16, 1979. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- "Eastern Kentucky Gains Football Playoff Berth". The Tennessean. Nashville, Tennessee. December 3, 1979. p. 36. Retrieved February 9, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "Eastern Kentucky Colonels 1979 Schedule". cfbinfo.com. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- "1-AA Top 10". The Victoria Advocate. Victoria, Texas. AP. November 27, 1979. p. 2B. Retrieved May 12, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "Lehigh Mountain Hawks 1979 Schedule". cfbinfo.com. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- "1979 Football Team Team of Distinction". ekusports.com. Retrieved May 12, 2019.