1978 Boston Red Sox season
The 1978 Boston Red Sox season was the 78th season in the franchise's Major League Baseball history. The Red Sox finished second in the American League (AL) with a record of 99 wins and 64 losses, including the loss of a one-game playoff to the New York Yankees after both teams had finished the regular season with identical 99–63 records.
|1978 Boston Red Sox|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||Buddy LeRoux, Haywood Sullivan, Jean Yawkey|
|General manager(s)||Haywood Sullivan|
|Local television||WSBK-TV, Ch. 38|
(Dick Stockton, Ken Harrelson)
|Local radio||WITS-AM 1510|
(Ned Martin, Jim Woods)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- November 23, 1977: Mike Torrez was signed as a free agent by the Boston Red Sox.
- December 8, 1977: Don Aase and cash were traded by the Red Sox to the California Angels for Jerry Remy.
- December 27, 1977: Dick Drago was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- March 28, 1978: Denny Doyle was released by the Red Sox.
- March 30, 1978: Rick Wise, Mike Paxton, Ted Cox, and Bo Díaz were traded by the Red Sox to the Cleveland Indians for Dennis Eckersley and Fred Kendall.
|New York Yankees||100||63||0.613||—||55–26||45–37|
|Boston Red Sox||99||64||0.607||1||59–23||40–41|
|Toronto Blue Jays||59||102||0.366||40||37–44||22–58|
Record vs. opponentsEdit
1978 American League Records
Sources:              
Opening Day lineupEdit
The "Boston Massacre"Edit
The Red Sox at one point in July, held a 14-game lead over their rival New York. However, the Yankees worked their way back. The Yankees held a one game lead over the Red Sox before the final game of the season. With a Red Sox win and a Yankee loss, both teams finished the season tied for the AL Eastern Division title.
The next day, in a one-game playoff, the Yankees beat the Red Sox 5-4 with the help of a home run by Bucky Dent. The Yankees went on to win the World Series in 6 games over the Los Angeles Dodgers. Although Dent became a Red Sox demon, the Red Sox would get retribution in 1990 when the Yankees fired Dent as their manager during a series at Fenway Park.
|1978 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by positionEdit
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
|= Indicates team leader|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; R = Runs scored; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in; SB = Stolen bases
Note: G = Games pitched; CG = Complete games; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; BB = Walks allowed; SO = Strikeouts
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; BB = Walks allowed; SO = Strikeouts
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
AL East tie-breaker gameEdit
|New York Yankees||0||0||0||0||0||0||4||1||0||5||8||0|
|Boston Red Sox||0||1||0||0||1||0||0||2||0||4||11||0|
|WP: Ron Guidry (25-3) LP: Mike Torrez (16-13) Sv: Goose Gossage (27)|
NYY: Bucky Dent, Reggie Jackson
BOS: Carl Yastrzemski
Awards and honorsEdit
- Dwight Evans – Gold Glove Award (OF)
- Fred Lynn – Gold Glove Award (OF)
- Jim Rice – American League Most Valuable Player, AL Player of the Month (May, August)
- Jim Rice, American League leader, Hits (213)
- Jim Rice, American League leader, Home runs (46)
- Jim Rice, American League leader, RBIs (139)
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Bristol
- "New York Yankees 5, Boston Red Sox 4". Retrosheet. October 2, 1978.
- Mike Torrez page at Baseball Reference
- Don Aase page at Baseball Reference
- Dick Drago page at Baseball Reference
- Denny Doyle page at Baseball Reference
- Dennis Eckersley page at Baseball Reference
- Bob Ojeda page at Baseball Reference
- Cafardo, Nick (June 7, 1990). "Dent Dumped by Yankees". The Boston Globe. p. 37.
- Shaughnessy, Dan (June 7, 1990). "His Back Was Against the Wall". The Boston Globe. p. 37.
- 1978 Boston Red Sox Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (1997). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (2nd ed.). Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America. ISBN 978-0-9637189-8-3.
- 1978 Boston Red Sox team page at Baseball Reference
- 1978 Boston Red Sox season at baseball-almanac.com
- "1978 The Denting of the Red Sox". This Great Game. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- Finn, Chad (September 27, 2018). "SI film finds something heroic about the ill-fated 1978 Red Sox". Boston.com. Retrieved September 27, 2018.