1977 Washington Huskies football team
The 1977 Washington Huskies football team represented the University of Washington in the 1977 NCAA Division I football season as a member of the Pacific-8 Conference (Pac-8). The Huskies were led by third-year head coach Don James and played their home games at Husky Stadium in Seattle. They finished the regular season at 7–4 overall, were champions of the Pac-8 at 6–1, and earned a trip to the Rose Bowl on January 2.
|1977 Washington Huskies football|
Rose Bowl champion
|1977 record||8–4 (6–1 Pac-8)|
|Head coach||Don James (3rd season)|
|Offensive coordinator||Dick Scesniak (3rd season)|
|Defensive coordinator||Jim Mora (3rd season)|
|MVP||Warren Moon (QB)|
|Captain||Blair Bush (C)|
|Captain||Dave Browning (DT)|
|Captain||Warren Moon (QB)|
|Captain||Mike Rohrbach (LB)|
|Home stadium||Husky Stadium|
(c. 72,500, AstroTurf)
|1977 Pacific-8 football standings|
|No. 10 Washington $||6||–||1||8||–||4|
|No. 15 Stanford||5||–||2||9||–||3|
|No. 13 USC||5||–||2||8||–||4|
Rankings from AP Poll
|September 10||No. 16 Mississippi State*||L 18–27† (later vacated)|
[better source needed]
|September 17||San Jose State*||W 24–3||36,489|
|September 24||at Syracuse*||L 20–22||12,839|
|October 1||at Minnesota*||L 17–19||31,895|
|October 8||at Oregon||W 54–0||29,500|
|October 15||Stanford||W 45–21||46,529|
|October 22||Oregon State||W 14–6||46,677|
|October 29||at UCLA||L 12–20† (later vacated)||38,692|
|November 5||at California||W 50–31||38,812|
|November 12||No. 14 USC||W 28–10||59,501|
|November 19||Washington State||No. 19||W 35–15||60,964|
|January 2, 1978||vs. No. 4 Michigan*||No. 13||W 27–20||105,312|
- † Games were subsequently vacated or forfeited to Washington
|1977 Washington Huskies football team roster|
Game 9 at CaliforniaEdit
- Date: November 5
- Game attendance: 38,812
Two Huskies were selected in the 1978 NFL Draft, which lasted twelve rounds (334 selections).
|Blair Bush||Center||1st||16||Cincinnati Bengals|
|Dave Browning||Defensive End||2nd||54||Oakland Raiders|
- "Huskies freeze Cougars and get a bowl bid, too". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). wire services. November 20, 1977. p. 3B.
- Missildine, Harry (November 20, 1977). "UW earns somebody's bowl". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). p. D1.
- Missidine, Harry (January 3, 1978). "Jackson rescues Washington". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). p. 19.
- "Huskies prove worthy". Spokane Daily Chronicle. (Washington). Associated Press. January 3, 1978. p. 13.
- "Huskies go from rags to roses". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. January 3, 1978. p. 1C.
- "The Lineups". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). October 8, 1977. p. 3B.
- Eugene Register-Guard. 1977 Nov 06. Retrieved 2019-Jan-06.
- "Huskies stop – USC – and smell the roses". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). wire services. November 13, 1977. p. 1C.