1977 America's Cup
The 1977 America's Cup was held in September 1977 at Newport, Rhode Island. The US defender, Courageous, skippered by Ted Turner, defeated the Australian challenger, Australia, skippered by Noel Robins, in a four-race sweep. Courageous' greatest winning margin out of all four races was 2 minutes and 23 seconds. It was the second unsuccessful challenge by Alan Bond.
|Defender United States|
|Defender club:||New York Yacht Club|
|Challenger club:||Sun City Yacht Club|
|Location:||Newport, Rhode Island, United States|
|Dates:||13–18 September 1977|
|Winner:||New York Yacht Club|
This was Ted Turner's second try at a Cup, losing out at the defender trials at the 1974 Cup. His crew included tactician Gary Jobson. Enterprise had included Malin Burnham, Halsey Herreshoff and John Marshall.
|Team||13 September 1977||16 September 1977||17 September 1977||18 September 1977||Pts|
- "Australia". ACCyclopedia. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- "Noel Robins". ACCyclopedia. Archived from the original on 7 July 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- "Alan Bond". ACCyclopedia. Archived from the original on 1 July 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- Nocera, Egidio (July 2006). "Storia della Coppa America 1970–1974–1977 Le sfide australiane e francesi" (in Italian). Archived from the original on 31 August 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "Courageous". 2017 America's Cup. 17 June 2017. NBC.
- Bertrand, John Born to win : a lifelong struggle to capture the America's Cup (as told to Patrick Robinson). Sydney : Bantam Books, c1985. ISBN 0-553-05118-0. p.58.