1976 Australian Open
The 1976 Australian Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor grass courts at the Kooyong Stadium in Melbourne in Australia and was held from 26 December 1975 to 4 January 1976. It was the 64th edition of the Australian Open and the first Grand Slam tournament of the year. The singles titles were won by Australians Mark Edmondson and Evonne Goolagong Cawley.
|1976 Australian Open|
|Date||26 December 1975 – 4 January 1976|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Venue||Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club|
|Mark Edmondson |
|Evonne Goolagong Cawley |
|John Newcombe / Tony Roche |
|Evonne Goolagong Cawley / Helen Gourlay Cawley |
- It was Edmondson's 1st and only career Grand Slam singles title. Edmondson is the lowest ranked player ever to win a Grand Slam event.
- It was Goolagong's 5th career Grand Slam singles title and her 3rd title at the Australian Open.
- • It was Goolagong's 5th career Grand Slam doubles title and her 4th title at the Australian Open.
- • It was Gourlay's 2nd career Grand Slam doubles title and her 2nd title at the Australian Open.
- No competition between 1970 and 1986.
1975 US Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1976 French Open