The 1974 Pattan earthquake occurred in the rugged and isolated Hunza, Hazara and Swat districts of northern Pakistan at 12:11 UTC on 28 December. The 6.2 surface wave magnitude quake had a shallow focal depth of 22 km and was followed by numerous aftershocks. An official estimate of the number killed was 5,300 with approximately 17,000 injured, and around 4,400 homes were destroyed. A total of 97,000 were reported affected by the tremor. Most of the destruction was centered on the village of Pattan. The village was almost completely destroyed.
|UTC time||1974-12-28 12:11:48|
|Local date||December 28, 1974|
|Local time||17:11 PST|
|Max. intensity||VIII (Severe)|
|Casualties||5,300 dead, 17,000 injured |
The epicentral region is characterized by steep-walled narrow canyons and valleys. Most of the population was concentrated along the rivers. Much of the destruction was caused by the numerous landslides and rockfalls which came tumbling down from high above. The main road leading into the area was blocked for about 25 miles (40 km) by landslides and rockfalls, hampering relief efforts. The government flew in emergency supplies by helicopter until the roads were reopened on 13 January.
The earthquake, which reached MMI V in Kabul, Afghanistan, affected some 1,000 square miles (2,600 km2) of the Indus Valley region. Several nations contributed money and supplies to aid the inhabitants of the stricken area.
- Utsu, T. R. (2002), "A List of Deadly Earthquakes in the World: 1500–2000", International Handbook of Earthquake & Engineering Seismology, Part A, Volume 81A (First ed.), Academic Press, p. 708, ISBN 978-0124406520
- "M 6.2 - 42 km NNW of Shingli Bala, Pakistan". earthquake.usgs.gov. Retrieved 15 July 2021.
- "History of earthquakes in Pakistan". Dunya News. Archived from the original on 2021-07-10. Retrieved 2021-07-10.
- "Timeline of major earthquakes in Pakistan". Dawn. Pakistan. 25 September 2013. Archived from the original on 26 March 2020. Retrieved 26 March 2020.
- Earthquake information Bulletin, March–April 1975, Volume 7, Number 2
- Ambraseys, N.; Lensen, G.; Moinfar, A.; Pennington, W. (1981). "The Pattan (Pakistan) earthquake of 28 December 1974: field observations". Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology. Geological Society of London. 14 (1): 1–16. doi:10.1144/gsl.qjeg.1981.014.01.01. ISSN 1470-9236.
- Chandra, Umesh (1975). "Fault-plane solution and tectonic implications of the Pattan, Pakistan earthquake of December 28, 1974". Tectonophysics. Elsevier BV. 28 (3): T19–T24. doi:10.1016/0040-1951(75)90032-3. ISSN 0040-1951.
- Jackson, James; Yielding, Graham (1983). "The seismicity of Kohistan, Pakistan: Source studies of the Hamran (1972.9.3), Darel (1981.9.12) and Patan (1974.12.28) earthquakes". Tectonophysics. Elsevier BV. 91 (1–2): 15–28. doi:10.1016/0040-1951(83)90055-0. ISSN 0040-1951.