The following lists events that happened during 1972 in South Africa.
- 3 – Abram Onkgopotse Tiro is expelled from the University of the North and students protest the expulsion.
- 4 – South Africa and Lesotho decide to establish reciprocal consular representation.
- Unknown date
- A South African Special Forces team carry out a submarine-borne raid on the Tanzanian port of Dar es Salaam using the SAS Emily Hobhouse, a Daphne class submarine.
- The South African Police deploys to South West Africa.
- Conscription for all white males is extended from 9 to 12 months, followed by a 19-day annual call-up for five years.
- Operation Plathond, a joint South African Defence Force and South African Bureau of State Security operation, is launched to train dissident Zambians in the Caprivi Strip, South West Africa.
- 2 February – Hendrick Ramaala, long-distance runner.
- 4 February – Sthandiwe Kgoroge, actress.
- 21 February – Mark Andrews (rugby player), rugby player.
- 12 March – Arno Carstens, singer-songwriter, lead singer of Springbok Nude Girls.
- 22 March – Baby Cele, actress.
- 26 March – Willem Jackson, football player
- 3 April – Alfred Ntombela, actor.
- 21 June – Irene van Dyk, South African and New Zealand netball player.
- 23 June – Slindile Nodangala, actress.
- 15 July – Sophie Ndaba, actress.
- 16 August – James Dalton (rugby player), rugby player.
- 25 August – Elmarie Gerryts, pole vaulter.
- 8 September – Os du Randt, Springboks rugby player.
- 16 October – Jacques Nienaber, Springboks coach.
- 28 October – David James, actor.
- 31 October – Shaun Bartlett, former soccer player & coach.
- 14 November – Florence Masebe, actress.
- 7 December – Sean Dundee, football player.
- 16 December – Kuli Roberts, journalist, TV presenter, author
- 23 December – Somizi Mhlongo, choreographer, actor and radio personality.
- 26 December – Colleen Piketh, lawn bowler
- Archontology.org: A Guide for Study of Historical Offices: South Africa: Heads of State: 1961-1994 (Accessed on 14 April 2017)
- "Glasgow 2014 - Colleen PIKETH Profile". results.glasgow2014.com. Retrieved 9 March 2021.
- South African Railways Index and Diagrams Electric and Diesel Locomotives, 610 mm and 1065 mm Gauges, Ref LXD 14/1/100/20, 28 January 1975, as amended
- Paxton, Leith; Bourne, David (1985). Locomotives of the South African Railways (1st ed.). Cape Town: Struik. pp. 141–142. ISBN 0869772112.