1971 National Formula Ford Driver to Europe Series
The 1971 National Formula Ford Driver to Europe Series was an Australian motor racing competition open to Formula Ford racing cars. It was the second annual Australian series for Formula Fords.
The series was contested over twelve rounds.
|Round ||Circuit ||State||Date||Round winner ||Car |
|1||Calder||Victoria||21 March ||Larry Perkins||Elfin 600|
|2||Sandown||Victoria||4 April ||Larry Perkins||Elfin 600|
|3||Winton||Victoria||9 May ||Phil Webber||Elfin 600|
|4||Phillip Island||Victoria||16 May ||Gary Rush||Elfin 600|
|5||Hume Weir||Victoria||13 June ||Bob Skelton||Bowin P4a|
|6||Oran Park||New South Wales||27 June ||Larry Perkins||Elfin 600|
|7||Amaroo Park||New South Wales||25 July ||Bob Beasley||Bowin P4a |
|8||Amaroo Park||New South Wales||Larry Perkins||Elfin 600|
|9||Warwick Farm||New South Wales||Larry Perkins||Elfin 600|
|10||Oran Park||New South Wales||19 September ||Larry Perkins||Elfin 600|
|11||Hume Weir||Victoria||26 September ||Bob Skelton||Bowin P4a|
|12||Phillip Island||Victoria||24 October ||Michael Stillwell||Elfin 600|
Points were awarded on a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 basis for the first ten places at each round except the Sandown round, for which double points were awarded.
|Position ||Driver ||Car ||Entrant||Points |
|1||Larry Perkins||Elfin 600||BS Stillwell & Co Pty Ltd ||106|
|2||Bob Skelton||Bowin P4a||Byrt Ford |
|3||Garry Rush||Elfin 600||Garry Rush |
|4||Michael Stillwell||Elfin 600||BS Stillwell & Co Pty Ltd |
|5||Bob Beasley||Bowin P4a||Jack Brabham Ford |
|6||Len Searle||Bowin P4a|
- Jim Shepherd, A History of Australian Motor Sport, 1980, pages 87 to 89
- Sources vary as to the official name of the series. Shepherd uses "TAA Driver to Europe Award" but Australian Competition Yearbook 1976 Edition page 89 states that the series was "given an enormous boost with the backing of TAA from 1972". The Official Souvenir Programme for Phillip Island, 24 October 1971 uses National Formula Ford Driver to Europe Series for the entry list for its round of the series, as does Racing Car News, May 1971, page 6 and Racing Car News, August 1971, page 66.
- Tom Naughton, Champ Has Home Win, Racing Car News, May 1971, pages 30-33
- Perkins Extends FF Lead, Racing Car News, May 1971, page 6
- Big Brass for Formula Ford, Racing Car News, April 1971, page 8
- Tom Naughton, Toranas 1-2, Racing Car News, August 1971, pages 64-66
- Max Stahl, Stewart Leads, Racing Car News, August 1971, pages 34-36
- Max Stahl, Five For Fiery Fred, Racing Car News, September 1971, pages 34-39
- Shepherd lists Beasley's Round 7 win as being in a Bowin P5a, however this would appear to be a misprint.
- Tom Naughton, Moffat Triumphant, Racing Car News, November 1971
- Official Souvenir Programme, Phillip Island, 24 October 1971
- Tom Naughton, Black Flag, Racing Car News, May 1971, pages 48-51