1961 PGA Tour
The 1961 PGA Tour season was played from January 6 to December 10. The season consisted of 48 official money events. Arnold Palmer won the most tournaments, six, and there were nine first-time winners. Gary Player was the leading money winner with earnings of $64,540. Jerry Barber was voted the PGA Player of the Year and Palmer won the Vardon Trophy for the lowest scoring average.
The following table shows all the official money events for the 1961 season. "Date" is the ending date of the tournament. The numbers in parentheses after the winners' names are the number of wins they had on the tour up to and including that event. Majors are shown in bold.
|1||Gary Player||South Africa||64,540|
|2||Arnold Palmer||United States||61,091|
|3||Doug Sanders||United States||57,428|
|4||Billy Casper||United States||37,767|
|5||Jay Hebert||United States||35,583|
|6||Johnny Pott||United States||33,268|
|7||Gay Brewer||United States||31,150|
|8||Bob Goalby||United States||30,919|
|9||Gene Littler||United States||29,246|
|10||Billy Maxwell||United States||28,335|
|Money winner||Gary Player||South Africa|
|PGA Player of the Year||Jerry Barber||United States|
|Scoring leader (Vardon Trophy)||Arnold Palmer||United States|
- "Pro Golfers Vote Barber Top Player". The Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. AP. October 8, 1961. p. 2. Retrieved March 19, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Palmer Ruins Sanders, Par To Win At Phoenix". St. Petersburg Times. Florida. AP. February 14, 1961. p. 2-C.
- "Hebert Wins Houston Golf in Sudden Death". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Pennsylvania. AP. April 25, 1961. p. 23.
- "Burke Captures Flint Open Golf Playoff". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Pennsylvania. AP. July 4, 1961. p. 38.
- "1961 winners sorted by age". PGA Tour. July 9, 2008. Retrieved March 19, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Johnson, Sal; Seanor, Dave, eds. (2009). The USA Today Golfers Encyclopedia. New York, New York: Skyhorse Publishing. pp. 623–30. ISBN 978-1-60239-302-8.
- "Gary Player Top Money Winner". The Montreal Gazette. Montreal, Quebec, Canada. AP. December 15, 1961. p. 32. Retrieved March 19, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)