This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2022)
Events in the year 1957 in the Republic of India.
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
- President of India – Dr. Rajendra Prasad
- Prime Minister of India – Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru
- Vice President of India – Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- Chief Justice of India – Sudhi Ranjan Das
- Andhra Pradesh – Chandulal Madhavlal Trivedi (until 1 August), Bhim Sen Sachar (starting 1 August)
- Assam – Saiyid Fazal Ali
- Bihar – R. R. Diwakar (until 5 July), Zakir Hussain (starting 5 July)
- Karnataka – Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar
- Kerala – Burgula Ramakrishna Rao
- Madhya Pradesh – Pattabhi Sitaramayya (until 13 June), Hari Vinayak Pataskar (starting 13 June)
- Maharashtra – Sri Prakasa
- Odisha – Bhim Sen Sachar (until 31 July), Yeshwant Narayan Sukthankar (starting 31 July)
- Punjab – Chandeshwar Prasad Narayan Singh
- Rajasthan – Gurumukh Nihal Singh
- Uttar Pradesh – Kanhaiyalal Maneklal Munshi
- West Bengal – Padmaja Naidu
- National income - ₹137,104 million
- January 26 - Portuguese Indian troops open fire at TarakPardi in Bombay State for securing right of pass between enclaves of Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- April 1 - Second Nehru ministry adopts Decimalisation of Indian rupee and discontinue the concept of anna coin system.
- April 5 – First elected government of Kerala. Communist Party of India won the elections and E. M. S. Namboodiripad became the first chief minister of united Kerala.
- August 25 - Indian Polo Team won the Polo World cup held at France.
- September 1 - Indian Air Force inducts its first jet bomber Canberra at Squadron 5, Agra.
- December 4 - Hindustan Shipyard delivers its first passenger cum cargo vessel M V Andaman.
Date not knownEdit
- India passes a bill making Kashmir under its control as part of the Union.
- Copyright Act
- "1957: Second Five Year Plan was incorporated". India Today. 2 July 2007. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- Doctor, Vikram. "The forgotten anniversary of decimalisation". The Economic Times. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- Kailash, K. K. (15 December 2021). "From the archives: E.M.S. Namboodiripad, a very contemporary Marxist". India Today. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "IPA | History". ipa.co.in. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "Jaipur 'maharaja' Sawai Padmanabh Singh to represent India in Polo World Cup". The PinkCity Post. 19 May 2017. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "60 years since IAF's Canberra jets were first deployed; the history of India's war horse". The Indian Express. 1 September 2017. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "Indian Air Force marks 60 years of its Canberra bombers". Financialexpress. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- Kumar, Chethan (31 August 2017). "indian air force: IAF's first generation jet bomber Canberra turns 60 tomorrow | India News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- "Hindustan Shipyard Limited - Saga by jonnala nagireddy - Issuu". issuu.com. Retrieved 14 April 2022.
- Venugopal, Vasudha. "RSS to honour man who discovered Bhimbetka caves". The Economic Times. Retrieved 14 April 2022.