1957 U.S. Women's Open
The 1957 U.S. Women's Open was the twelfth U.S. Women's Open, held June 27–29 at the East Course of Winged Foot Golf Club in Mamaroneck, New York. It was the fifth conducted by the United States Golf Association (USGA).
|Dates||June 27–29, 1957|
|Location||Mamaroneck, New York|
|Course(s)||Winged Foot Golf Club,|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,246 yards (5,711 m)|
|Field||98: 33 pros, 65 amateurs|
Betsy Rawls won when the apparent champion, Jackie Pung at 6-over par 298, was disqualified for signing an incorrect scorecard. Her score was kept by playing partner Betty Jameson, the 1947 champion, who had marked a par score of five for Pung on the fourth hole, instead of a bogey six. Pung made exactly the same error on Jameson's card, who was also disqualified. It was the fourth of eight major championships for Rawls and the third of four U.S. Women's Opens.
Past champions in the fieldEdit
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Betsy Rawls||United States||1951, 1953||74||74||75||76||299||+7||1|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||80||77||73||75||305||+13||2|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949, 1952||76||81||75||76||308||+16||T3|
|Kathy Cornelius||United States||1956||81||79||83||85||328||+36||30|
|Betty Jameson||United States||1947||75||75||79||85||314||+22||DQ|
Saturday, June 29, 1957
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Betsy Rawls||United States||74-74-75-76=299||+7||1,800|
|2||Patty Berg||United States||80-77-73-75=305||+13||1,200|
|T3||Betty Hicks||United States||75-77-76-80=308||+16||810|
|Louise Suggs||United States||76-81-75-76=308|
|5||Betty Dodd||United States||74-78-76-82=310||+18||600|
|T6||Alice Bauer||United States||72-73-87-79=311||+19||380|
|Marlene Hagge||United States||72-81-81-77=311|
|JoAnn Prentice||United States||75-78-84-74=311|
|Beverly Hanson||United States||78-76-79-79=312|
- Jackie Pung's score was 78-75-73-72=298 (+6)
- "Finsterwald leads Western Open; Bauer sisters pace gals". Toledo Blade. Associated Press. June 28, 1957. p. 29.
- "Alice Bauer takes over Open lead". St. Petersburg Times. Associated Press. June 29, 1957. p. 8.
- "Jackie happy, then so sad". Spokesman-Review. Associated Press. July 1, 1957. p. 10.
- Wind, Herbert Warren (July 8, 1957). "The Tragic Fourth". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved June 26, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Rawls wins Open; Pung Disqualified". Milwaukee Sentinel. INS. July 1, 1957. p. 4 (part 2). Retrieved July 5, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Scorecard mistake costs Pung crown". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. June 20, 1957. p. 3B.
- "Women's Open results". St. Petersburg Times. June 30, 1957. p. 2C.
- USGA final leaderboard
- U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
- U.S. Women's Open – past champions – 1957