This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)
Events in the year 1942 in India.
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
- March – Jawaharlal Nehru's daughter Indira marries a Parsi lawyer and insurgent, Feroze Gandhi against her father's wishes.
- Feb - Visit of Generalissimo Chiang Kai Shek of China(Commander of Allied forces for Asia China sector) amidst impending pressure of Japanese attack on Burma. Meets Congress top leaders to seek India's participation in war.
- 8 Mar - Japanese army enters Rangoon. British necessity to break Indian political deadlock.
- 22 Mar - Arrival of The Cripps mission, proposals /declaration made public on 30 Mar but are rejected by Congress and all other parties except Muslim League.
- 14 July- Wardha working committee meeting reiterated demand for Brits leaving India.
- 8 August – Quit India resolution was passed by the Bombay session of the AICC, which led to the start of a historical civil disobedience movement across India.
- 9 August – Indian leader, Mohandas Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces.
- August – Newly married couple Indira Gandhi and Feroze Gandhi are arrested for their participation in Quit India movement.
- 16 October – Hurricane and flooding in Bombay: 40,000 dead.
- December - Many demonstrators were lathi-charged and assassinated. By December 1942, over 60,000 people had been jailed.
- 13 January – Yogesh Kumar Sabharwal, Chief Justice of India (died 2015).
- 10 February – Madhabi Mukherjee, actress.
- 21 February – Jayshree Gadkar, actress (died 2008).
- 11 March – Amarinder Singh, politician and current Chief Minister of Punjab.
- 2 April – Roshan Seth, actor.
- 15 April – Madhur Kapila, novelist, journalist and art critic (died 2021)
- 25 May – Dr. Sri Ganapathy Sachchidananda Swamiji
- 19 August – Bungle Shama Rao Dwarakanath, actor.
- 20 September - Rajinder Goel, cricketer (d. 2020)
- 2 October – Asha Parekh, actress, director and producer.
- 11 October – Amitabh Bachchan, actor.
- 18 December – Jagdish Khattar, businessman and civil servant (died 2021)
- 29 December – Rajesh Khanna, actor. (died 2012).
- Everyman's Dictionary of Dates; 6th ed. J. M. Dent, 1971; p. 263