Events in the year 1942 in Brazil.
- Construction of the Basilica Shrine of Our Lady Mediatrix of All Graces was completed.
- Alagoas: Ismar de Góis Monteiro
- Amazonas: Álvaro Botelho Maia
- Bahia: Landulfo Alves (till 3 December); Renato Pinto Aleixo (from 3 December)
- Ceará: Francisco de Meneses Pimentel
- Espírito Santo: João Punaro Bley
- Goiás: Pedro Ludovico Teixeira
- Mato Grosso: Júlio Strübing Müller
- Minas Gerais: Benedito Valadares Ribeiro
- Pará: José Carneiro da Gama Malcher
- Paraíba: Rui Carneiro
- Paraná: Manuel Ribas
- Pernambuco: Agamenon Magalhães
- Piauí: Leônidas Melo
- Rio Grande do Norte: Rafael Fernandes Gurjão
- Rio Grande do Sul: Osvaldo Cordeiro de Farias
- Santa Catarina: Nereu Ramos
- São Paulo: Ademar de Barros (till 4 June); Fernando de Sousa Costa (from 4 June)
- Sergipe: Milton Pereira de Azevedo (till 27 March); Augusto Maynard Gomes (from 27 March)
- 28 January- Brazil breaks diplomatic relations with the Axis countries.
- July 26- The Brazilian ship Tamandaré is sunk by the German submarine U-66 (1940) off the coast of Trinidad and Tobago.
- August 17 - The ships Itagiba and Arará are torpedoed by German submarine U-507.
- August 22 - President Getúlio Vargas signs the declaration of war against Germany and Italy.
- 1 November - The Cruzeiro "antigo" is adopted as the official currency.
- date unknown - Aircraft manufacturer Companhia Aeronáutica Paulista is established in São Paulo.
Arts and cultureEdit
- 19 January - Nara Leão, singer and actress (died 1989)
- 6 March - Flora Purim, jazz singer
- 19 March - José Serra, politician
- 20 April - Roberto Freire, politician
- 23 April - Jorge Antunes, composer
- 3 June - Celso Amorim, diplomat and politician
- 26 June - Gilberto Gil, singer, guitarist, and songwriter
- 7 August - Caetano Veloso, musician and writer
- 23 August
- 26 October - Anecy Rocha, actress (died 1977)
- "O Brasil rompeu com os paises do "Eixo"". Folha da Noite. 29 January 1942. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "O Brasil na Guerra". Folha da Noite. 22 August 1942. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- "O Brasil em estado de beligerância com a Alemanha e a Itália". O Estado de S. Paulo. 23 August 1942. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Cédulas do Cruzeiro (1942-1967). Accessed 24 May 2014
- Gunston, Bill (1993). World Encyclopedia of Aircraft Manufacturers. Annapolis: Naval Institute Press. p. 70.
- Walt & El Grupo (documentary film, 2008).
- Kater, Carlos. 1987. "Villa-Lobos de Rubinstein". Latin American Music Review / Revista de Música Latinoamericana 8, no. 2 (Autumn-Winter): 246–53. (Portuguese)
- Julie Coryell, Laura Friedman; Ramsey Lewis (January 2000). Jazz-Rock Fusion: The People, the Music. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 277. ISBN 0-7935-9941-5.
- David M. Cummings (2000). International Who's Who In Music and Musicians' Directory: (In the Classical and Light Classical Fields). Psychology Press. p. 19.
- Morais, Fernando (December 2004). Olga. ISBN 9780802141897.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1942 in Brazil.|