1937 Rose Bowl
The 1937 Rose Bowl, was the 23rd edition of the bowl game, between the independent Pittsburgh Panthers of western Pennsylvania and the Washington Huskies of Seattle, the champions of the Pacific Coast Conference. The game was played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, on Friday, January 1, 1937.
|1937 Rose Bowl|
|23rd Rose Bowl Game|
|Date||January 1, 1937|
|MVP||Bill Daddio (E) – Pittsburgh|
Ahead of the game, seating in the Rose Bowl was expanded to 87,677. This was Pittsburgh's fourth Rose Bowl in nine years, with losses in the 1928, 1930, and 1933 editions. Washington had previously tied in 1924 and won in 1926.
In the final AP poll released in late November, Pittsburgh was third and Washington was fifth.
Pittsburgh – Frank Patrick, 3-yard run (Bill Daddio kick)
Pittsburgh – Bill Daddio, 71-yard interception (Bill Daddio kick)
- The game program was 25 cents.
- "Pittsburgh and Washington are rated on even terms for clash today". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. January 1, 1937. p. 11.
- Smith, Chester L. (January 2, 1937). "Pitt powerhouse attack smothers Washington". Pittsburgh Press. p. 8.
- "Pittsburgh's power proves too much for University of Washington men". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. January 2, 1937. p. 9.
- 2009 Kickoff Luncheon and Rose Bowl Hall of Fame Induction program