1911 Kansas vs. Missouri football game
The 1911 Kansas vs. Missouri football game was a college football game between the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri played on November 25, 1911 at Rollins Field in Columbia, Missouri. It is widely considered, although contested, to be the first college football homecoming game ever played.
|First American Football Homecoming Game|
Kansas vs. Missouri
First homecoming football game, 1911
|Date||November 25, 1911|
The Missouri Tigers, under coach Chester Brewer entered the game with a record of 2 wins, 4 losses, and 1 tie. The Kansas Jayhawks, led by Ralph W. Sherwin brought a record of 4 wins, 2 losses, and 1 tie. The game ended in a 3–3 tie and was the final game of the season for both schools.
More than 1,000 people gathered in downtown Lawrence, Kansas to watch a mechanical reproduction of the game while it was being played. A Western Union telegraph wire was set up direct from Columbia, with information "broadcast" to Lawrence. A group of people then would announce the results of the previous play and used a large model of a football playing field to show the results. Those in attendance would cheer as though they were watching the game live, including the school's Rock Chalk, Jayhawk cheer.
- "The History of Homecoming". Active.com. Archived from the original on October 19, 2012. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- DeLassus, David. "Coaching Records: Game-by-game (Chester L. Brewer, 1911)". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- "100 years ago: Football fans enjoy mechanized reproduction of KU-MU game". Lawrence Journal-World. November 27, 2011. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- "U celebrates Homecoming Week 2004 : UMNews : University of Minnesota". .umn.edu. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- Chrös Mcdougall And Blaine Grider. "Tradition's beginnings mysterious". Columbia Missourian. Archived from the original on December 9, 2012. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- Eric J Eckert (September 23, 2011). "Vincent's Views". York News-Times. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- DeLassus, David. "Coaching Records: Game-by-game (Ralph Sherwin, 1911)". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved December 27, 2011.
- Shaffer, Ian. "Kansas 3 vs Missouri 3". College Football Reference. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved December 27, 2011.