18th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade
The 18th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade (Military Unit Number 27777) was a formation of the Russian Ground Forces. The brigade was formed in late 2008 from the 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Division and stationed in two bases near Grozny. The brigade was involved in the Russian military intervention in Ukraine and was combined with two other brigades to reform the 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Division in late 2016.
|18th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade|
|Russian: 18-я отдельная гвардейская Евпаторийская Краснознаменная мотострелковая бригада|
18th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade shoulder sleeve insignia
|Branch||Russian Ground Forces|
|Part of||58th Army|
War in Donbass
|Decorations||Order of the Red Banner|
The brigade was formed in late 2008 from the 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Division as part of the Russian military reform and was relocated to Khankala, near Grozny in Chechnya. In 2013, several units of the brigade were relocated to Kalinovskaya. It inherited the honorifics "Yevpatoria Red Banner" from the division. The brigade was part of the 58th Army in the Southern Military District and included the 1st Mechanized Battalion "Vostok". Sergey Kuzovlev previously commanded the brigade.
A battalion tactical group of the brigade was part of the troops in Crimea for the Russian military intervention in Ukraine during April 2014. The brigade's reconnaissance battalion contributed a reconnaissance team to the Russian military intervention in the War in Donbass from 14 July 2014. The brigade contributed a battalion tactical group from 11 August 2014. In February 2015 it was located in the Northern Operational Area. Between 1 and 2 February, a combined formation of the brigade and other Russian units were involved in combat near Debaltseve. After 13 February, the 20th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade's tactical group was reformed into a combined unit with the brigade. In late 2016, the brigade was merged with the 8th Guards Mountain Motor Rifle Brigade and 17th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade to reform the 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Division.
- Parfitt, Tom (27 December 2014). "Secret dead of Russia's undeclared war". The Telegraph. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Войсковая часть 27777 (18-я ОМСБр)" [Military Unit No. 27777 (18th OMSBr)]. voinskayachast.net (in Russian). Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Southern Military District". warfare.ru. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Ukraina: Krimmis on Tšetšeeniast ja Uljanovskist pärit Vene sõdurid" [Ukraine: Russian soldiers from Chechnya and Ulyanovsk in Crimea], Postimees, EE, 5 March 2014
- "Заместителем командующего войсками ЮВО стал генерал-лейтенант Андрей Гурулев" [Lieutenant General Andrei Gurulev new Southern Military District deputy commander] (in Russian). TASS. 18 August 2016. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Cox, Matthew; Sisk, Richard (15 April 2014). "NATO Builds Plan as Violence Increases in Ukraine". Military.com. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Sutyagin, Igor (March 2015). "RUSI Briefing Paper: Russian Forces in Ukraine" (PDF). Royal United Services Institute: 2–7. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "В ЮВО на территории Чечни завершается формирование 42-й мотострелковой дивизии" [Formation of the 42nd Guards Motor Rifle Division completed in Chechnya in Southern Military District]. structure.mil.ru (in Russian). 7 December 2016. Retrieved 8 April 2017.