This article needs additional citations for verification
. (March 2013)
The following is an overview of the events of 1899 in film, including a list of films released and notable births.
Films released in 1899Edit
- The Biter Bit, produced by Bamforth & Co Ltd
- Cagliostro's Mirror, directed by George Melies
- Cinderella, directed by Georges Méliès
- Cleopatra, directed by George Melies
- Cripple Creek Bar-Room Scene, produced by Edison Studios
- The Demon Barber, produced by American Mutoscope
- The Devil in a Convent, directed by Georges Méliès, aka The Sign of the Cross
- The Dreyfus Affair, a series of docudramas directed by Georges Méliès
- The Haunted House, directed by Siegmund Lubin
- How Would You Like to Be the Ice Man?
- The Jeffries-Sharkey Fight, a documentary that is in all likelihood lost; running over two hours, this is one of the oldest feature films.
- King John
- Kidnapping by Indians
- The Kiss in the Tunnel, directed by George Albert Smith; has been cited as cinema's first example of narrative editing
- Major Wilson's Last Stand
- A Midnight Episode, directed by George Melies, aka A Good Bed
- The Miser's Doom (British), directed by Walter R. Booth
- Pillar of Fire, directed by George Melies 
- Robbing Cleopatra's Tomb, directed by Georges Méliès (probably lost)
- January 6 – Phyllis Haver, American actress (died 1960)
- January 30 – Martita Hunt, English actress, 1969
- February 6 – Ramon Novarro, Mexican actor (died 1968)
- February 15 – Gale Sondergaard, American actress (died 1985)
- February 21 – Sigrid Holmquist, Swedish actress (died 1970)
- February 22 – George O'Hara, American actor, screenwriter (died 1966)
- March 14 – Ada Kramm, Norwegian actress (died 1981)
- March 23 – Dora Gerson, German actress (died 1943)
- March 27 – Gloria Swanson, American actress (died 1983)
- May 10 – Fred Astaire, American actor/dancer (died 1987)
- June 15 – Einar Hanson, Swedish actor (died 1927)
- June 30 – Madge Bellamy, American actress (died 1990)
- July 1 – Charles Laughton, British-American actor (died 1962)
- July 7 – George Cukor, American director (died 1983)
- July 14 – Martha Mansfield, American actress (died 1923)
- July 17 – James Cagney, American actor (died 1986)
- August 13 – Alfred Hitchcock, British director (died 1980)
- August 19 – Colleen Moore, American actress (died 1988)
- August 28 – Charles Boyer, French actor (died 1978)
- November 11 – Pat O'Brien, American actor (died 1983)
- November 17 – Douglas Shearer, Canadian-born American pioneer motion-picture sound engineer (died 1971)
- December 16 – Noël Coward, English actor, playwright and composer of popular music (died 1973)
- December 25 – Humphrey Bogart, American actor (died 1957)
- ^ Abel, Richard (2010). Encyclopedia of Early Cinema. London and New York: Routledge. p. 26. ISBN 0415778565.
- ^ Herbert, Stephen. "John Alfred Prestwich". Who's Who of Victorian Cinema. Retrieved 2013-02-24.
- ^ Workman, Christopher; Howarth, Troy (2016). "Tome of Terror: Horror Films of the Silent Era". Midnight Marquee Press. ISBN 978-1936168-68-2.