1880 in Scotland
Events from the year 1880 in Scotland.
|See also:||List of years in Scotland|
Timeline of Scottish history
1880 in: The UK • Wales • Ireland • Elsewhere
Scottish football: 1879–80 • 1880–81
- Lord Advocate – William Watson until May; then John McLaren
- Solicitor General for Scotland – John Macdonald; then John Blair Balfour
- February – telephones introduced in Edinburgh.
- 27 April – 1880 United Kingdom general election: The Liberal Party defeat the Conservatives by a substantial majority following the 'Midlothian campaign' by William Ewart Gladstone who is returned as Member of Parliament for Midlothian and becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- 1 July – the Callander and Oban Railway is opened throughout to Oban.
- October – the SS Ferret is fraudulently chartered at Greenock and taken to Australia.
- A. & R. Scott begin producing the predecessor of Scott's Porage Oats.
- 29 March – Bobby Templeton, footballer (died 1919)
- 4 April – William Russell Flint, watercolourist (died 1969)
- 30 April – Charles Exeter Devereux Crombie, cartoonist (died 1967)
- 6 May – Edmund Ironside, British Army officer (died 1959)
- 14 May – B. C. Forbes, financial journalist (died 1954 in the United States)
- 1 July – Noel Skelton, Unionist politician, journalist and intellectual (died 1935)
- 13 August – Mary Macarthur, trade unionist (died 1921)
- September – Peter Kyle, footballer (died 1961)
- 23 September – John Boyd Orr, physician and biologist, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (died 1971)
- 15 October – Marie Stopes, author, palaeobotanist, campaigner for women's rights and pioneer in the field of birth control (died 1958)
- 18 October – Alexander Livingstone, Liberal politician (died 1950)
- Margaret McCoubrey, suffragette and pacifist in Belfast (died 1955 in Northern Ireland)
- Dorothy Carleton Smyth, artist and designer (died 1933)
- Preston Watson, aviator (killed in military aviation accident 1915)
- Scottish Grand National first run under this name.
- 1870s Rangers F.C. seasons
- 1879–80 Heart of Midlothian F.C. season
- 1879–80 Hibernian F.C. season
- 1879–80 Scottish Cup
- 1880 Open Championship
- 1880–81 Scottish Cup
- 1880–81 Heart of Midlothian F.C. season
- 1880–81 Hibernian F.C. season
- "History of Edinburgh". Visions of Scotland. Archived from the original on 14 February 2015. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "The Ferret Case". The Argus. Melbourne. 9 May 1881. p. 1S.
- "Scott's Porage – Our Heritage". Scott's Porage Oats. Archived from the original on 23 September 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2010.