The year 1870 in architecture involved some significant architectural events and new buildings.
Buildings and structuresEdit
- January 6 – The Musikverein in Vienna, designed by Theophil Hansen, is inaugurated.
- May 1 – Equitable Life Building (New York City), designed by Arthur Gilman and Edward H. Kendall, with George B. Post as a consulting engineer, is completed. The 7-storey building is the first office block to incorporate passenger elevators, hydraulic examples by the Elisha Otis company.
- June 23 – Keble College, Oxford, designed by William Butterfield, is opened.
- August 9 – Melbourne Town Hall, Melbourne, Australia is opened.
- November – University of Glasgow new campus building, designed by George Gilbert Scott, is opened.
- Perth Town Hall in Australia, designed by Richard Roach Jewell and James Manning, is completed.
- David Sassoon Library in Bombay, designed by J. Campbell and G. E. Gosling, is completed.
- Khotan Mosque in China is built.
- Approximate date – Les Halles markets in Paris, designed by Victor Baltard, completed.