1864 in art
Events from the year 1864 in art.
- January 30 – National Gallery of Ireland opens to the public in Dublin in a building designed by Francis Fowke based on early plans by Charles Lanyon.
- February 20 – Painter George Frederic Watts marries his 16-year-old model, the actress Ellen Terry, 30 years his junior, in London. She elopes less than a year later.
- December 30 – Julia Margaret Cameron sends John Herschel an album of her first year's photography including her iconic portrait of him.
- The Frances Lehman Loeb Art Center is established as the Vassar College Art Gallery on the women's college campus in Poughkeepsie, New York (in the Hudson Valley) including the Magoon Collection of Hudson River School paintings donated by Matthew Vassar.
- Stanisław Chlebowski takes up a post as master painter to Sultan Abdülaziz in Istanbul.
- The National Gallery in London acquires The Annunciation, with Saint Emidius from Lord Taunton.
- Ramon Martí Alsina – The Great Day of Girona
- Frédéric Bazille – The Pink Dress (approximate date)
- François Bocion – Steamer on Lake Geneva – Evening Effect
- Ford Madox Brown
- Elijah and the Widow's Son (full-size oil version)
- King René's Honeymoon
- Francis Bicknell Carpenter – First Reading of the Emancipation Proclamation of President Lincoln
- Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot – Souvenir de Mortefontaine
- Richard Dadd – The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke
- Honoré Daumier – The Third-Class Carriage (Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York)
- Thomas Farrell – Memorial statue to John McNeil Boyd (St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin)
- Anselm Feuerbach – Paolo and Francesca
- Sir Edwin Landseer – Man Proposes, God Disposes
- Henri Fantin-Latour – Homage to Delacroix
- Frederic Leighton – The Painter's Honeymoon
- John Frederick Lewis – Captive Dove, Cairo
- Daniel Maclise – The Death of Nelson (wall painting for Palace of Westminster and oil study)
- Édouard Manet
- Les Anges au tombeau du Christ, Le Christ mort aux anges ("The Angels at Christ's Tomb") (Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York)
- The Battle of the Kearsarge and the Alabama (Philadelphia Museum of Art)
- Branch of White Peonies and Pruning Shears (Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- Peonies (Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York)
- The Dead Toreador (National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.)
- Women at the Races (Cincinnati Art Museum)
- Jan Matejko
- Jean-Louis-Ernest Meissonier – 1814: The Campaign in France (Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- Jean-François Millet – Shepherdess with Her Flock (Musée d'Orsay, Paris)
- Gustave Moreau – Oedipus and the Sphinx
- Erskine Nicol – Irish Emigrants Waiting for a Train
- William Blake Richmond – The Sisters
- Frederick Sandys – Morgan le Fay
- Emil Jakob Schindler – A Forest Blacksmith
- Simeon Solomon – Sappho and Erinna in a Garden at Mytilene
- G. F. Watts – Choosing
- James McNeill Whistler
- Franz Xaver Winterhalter
- February 1 – Albert Julius Olsson, English marine painter (died 1942)
- March 10 – Ādams Alksnis, Latvian painter (died 1897)
- March 19 – Charles Marion Russell, American "cowboy artist" (died 1926)
- March 29 – Paul Ranson, French painter and writer (died 1909)
- May 15 – Vilhelm Hammershøi, Danish painter (died 1916)
- May 22 – Willy Stöwer, German marine artist (died 1931)
- July 8 – F. Holland Day, American photographer (died 1933)
- October 7 – Harrington Mann, Scottish-born portrait painter and decorative artist (died 1937)
- November 24 – Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, French painter (died 1901)
- December 3 – Anna Boberg, Swedish artist (died 1935)
- December 8 – Camille Claudel, French sculptor and graphic artist (died 1943)
- December 13 – John Quinton Pringle, Scottish painter (died 1925)
- December 30 – Marko Murat, Serbian painter (died 1944)
- date unknown
- January 3 – William Behnes, English sculptor (born 1795)
- January 6 - James Frothingham, American painter (born 1786)
- January 27 – Leo von Klenze, German neoclassicist architect, painter and writer (born 1784)
- January 29 – William Cowen, English landscape painter (born 1791)
- February 10 – William Henry Hunt, English watercolor painter (born 1790)
- February 14 – William Dyce, painter (born 1806)
- March 2 – Jean Alaux, French history painter and Director of the French Academy in Rome (born 1786)
- March 19 – Alexandre Calame, painter (born 1810)
- March 21 – Jean-Hippolyte Flandrin, painter (born 1809)
- June 1 – John Watson Gordon, painter (born 1788)
- June 2 – Caroline Bardua, German painter (born 1781)
- June 8 – Stephen Poyntz Denning, English portraitist, artist and curator (born 1795-1798)
- July 27 – Joseph Patrick Haverty – Irish painter (born 1794)
- August 7 – Janez Puhar, painter and photographer (born 1814)
- August 10 – Thomas Baker "of Leamington", landscape painter (born 1809)
- November 15 - Abel Dimier, French sculptor (born 1794)
- November 20 - Albert Newsam, American artist (born 1809)
- November 25 – David Roberts, Scottish painter (born 1796)
- December 24 – Demeter Laccataris, Austro-Hungarian portrait painter of Greek origin (born 1798)
- date unknown
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1864 in art.|
- Shearer, Moira (1998). Ellen Terry. Pocket biographies. Stroud: Sutton. ISBN 0750915269.
- Mendelsohn, Ezra (2002). Painting a People: Maurycy Gottlieb and Jewish Art. Brandeis University Press. p. 59. ISBN 978-1-58465-179-6.
- "The Annunciation, with Saint Emidius". The National Gallery. Retrieved 26 June 2015.
- Art UK